Peaks with identical names

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Peaks with identical names

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I've noticed that there are a few peaks with identical names on the 13er list. There are two "PT 13,460"s, both in the Sawatch range, as well as two "PT 13,140"s, one in the Elks and on in the Sawatch. Is there a reason these aren't differentiated by subsequent letters (A,B,etc.) like most unnamed peaks are? In the second case, there are two additional 13ers named "PT 13,140 B" and "PT 13,140 C", but there is no "A" and the ranked 140s are not differentiated by name.

This isn't a huge deal, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, but it does become a minor issue where some peaks are tagged incorrectly in trip reports.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Peaks with identical names

Post by Chicago Transplant »

It may have to do with elevation changes? One of the 13460's was thought to be 13447 because that is marked on the map, however, the marked point is decidedly lower by multiple parties and thus 13460 was given as the elevation instead based on closed contours. Similarly, the 13140 in the Elks has a 13130 subsubmit that was originally marked as the high point but was determined to be lower than the closed contour containing the now recognized true summit at 13140. When these elevations were upgraded, Bill might not have updated the alphabetic identifiers?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Peaks with identical names

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Bill could also change the one 13,460 to it's unofficial name of "Grand Prize" to make the checklist easier. The other one (closer to Sayres) is listed as UN 13,460A in its register with an unofficial name of "Mt Longstuck" (no idea where that came from).