GPX Library (new)

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Re: GPX Library (new)

Post by CarpeDM »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:39 pm. . .I also think people should use their brains, and not follow the pings in a gps unit.
Yes, precisely why I don't like following the tracks on a GPS. I often like to get a sense of the possibilities and then figure it out on the ground for myself.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Thanks for pointing out the problem when a peak is selected that should have no results. Ben also mentioned this to me but I forgot to fix it. It should work now.

As far as trip report GPX files, they only get included in the GPX Library when downloading has been allowed by the report author. I'll think about the "non-downloadable" option in the GPX Library so we can get more in the library but stick with the wishes of the trip authors. This may make things a bit confusing since people would probably only visit the library when they're looking for a GPX file for download. Let me think about that.

bergsteigen, if you do end up changing those few of your TRs to remove the public sharing option, just be aware that right now the GPX Library only sweeps trip reports once a day so it will take a day for a file to fall out of the GPX library.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Thanks, Bill. Like I said, it's nitpicky, and I'll obviously live with it either way. Checking out the GPX files is just one step in the research process, so I'd probably end up finding them when looking up TRs anyway.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

NERD ALERT!!!

As I mentioned previously, when viewing a GPX file in the library, an elevation profile can be generated by clicking on a track line. Currently, the profiles use Google elevation data obtained though their lookup service. Google only allows us to retrieve ~500 elevations along any track line so, for long tracks, I've found this is not good enough since it reduces the distance calculations as the tracks get longer. So, I've decided to host a 30 meter, 1-Arc Second elevation lookup system using the space Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data, obtained by Endeavour in 2000. This will provide elevations accurate to 30 meters and as many as we want per track.

Once I get all of the data files on the site and finish the programs to retrieve elevation data, I'll convert the current profile process so track profiles are more accurate.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 am So, I've decided to host a 30 meter, 1-Arc Second elevation lookup system using the space Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data, obtained by Endeavour in 2000.
I need to seriously up my nerd game, this is like hieroglyphics. And I had to google just to spell hieroglyphics.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 am NERD ALERT!!!

As I mentioned previously, when viewing a GPX file in the library, an elevation profile can be generated by clicking on a track line. Currently, the profiles use Google elevation data obtained though their lookup service. Google only allows us to retrieve ~500 elevations along any track line so, for long tracks, I've found this is not good enough since it reduces the distance calculations as the tracks get longer. So, I've decided to host a 30 meter, 1-Arc Second elevation lookup system using the space Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data, obtained by Endeavour in 2000. This will provide elevations accurate to 30 meters and as many as we want per track.

Once I get all of the data files on the site and finish the programs to retrieve elevation data, I'll convert the current profile process so track profiles are more accurate.
Will_E wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:24 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 am So, I've decided to host a 30 meter, 1-Arc Second elevation lookup system using the space Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data, obtained by Endeavour in 2000.
I need to seriously up my nerd game, this is like hieroglyphics. And I had to google just to spell hieroglyphics.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I've finished adding the elevation lookup service so we don't have to rely on Google for the information. Route profiles in the GPX Library, route descriptions and elsewhere now use the new process.
Free and faster.
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 am NERD ALERT!!!