GPX Library (new)

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

GPX Library (new)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I've finally put together the GPX Library so we have a place to share and find GPX files more easily. Check it out and feel free to post comments here but please remember it's under construction.

GPX LIBRARY

And, yes, you must be logged in to use it. Why? Like other mapping pages on the site, I have to limit it to registered users because we pay Google for Maps usage. If it's open to everyone, the usage gets run up quickly and I get a hefty monthly bill from Google. Gross.

I still have to add the direct upload functionality and 'My GPX Uploads' management features.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: GPX Library (new)

Post by Reg0928 »

Rad! Thanks!
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

Awesome feature Bill! Thank you!!!
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Wow this is awesome!

You rock Bill!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Great, this will be sweet! Thanks!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

That's cool.
Thanks Bill!

Joel
ablocki
14ers: 58 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ablocki »

This is gonna make trip planning for 13ers so much easier =D> Thanks Bill!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Have you researched other platforms other than The Google for gpx hosting? I’ve been working on my own gpx library and so far am thinking about Caltopo. I’m just glad I didn’t put the time into Google Maps as I had been planning on, I’m not paying more bills!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Bill, I don't use gps in the mountains but would some type of rating system be useful for user uploaded tracks?

For instance if someone was way off route from the norm, but that user decided to upload the file, to me, that one should be voted down in comparison to someone's track that was spot on for the normal route.

E.g., the recent La Plata winter gpx track request thread. WillE mentioned his track was way off with additional 4mi's or something. Others posted tracks (I assume) were more inline with the typical winter approach to the ridge, therefore that type of track should get voted up.

Make sense?
I can't imagine going to the library and finding multiple tracks for "same" route, and deciding which to choose.
Or would there be a preview of the track so a user could decide that looks good and a viable option for their intended goal?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Super cool - the GPX's I've already uploaded are there in one place.

I think Caltopo is an excellent place to store personally used GPX files. Some of the public ones are incredible! Like this one for RMNP:

https://caltopo.com/m/TNT4

(takes a little while to load)
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

This is awesome, particularly the ability to sort by month. Thank you so much!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

d_baker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am Bill, I don't use gps in the mountains but would some type of rating system be useful for user uploaded tracks?

For instance if someone was way off route from the norm, but that user decided to upload the file, to me, that one should be voted down in comparison to someone's track that was spot on for the normal route.

E.g., the recent La Plata winter gpx track request thread. WillE mentioned his track was way off with additional 4mi's or something. Others posted tracks (I assume) were more inline with the typical winter approach to the ridge, therefore that type of track should get voted up.

Make sense?
I can't imagine going to the library and finding multiple tracks for "same" route, and deciding which to choose.
Or would there be a preview of the track so a user could decide that looks good and a viable option for their intended goal?
Good idea. And/or maybe add the ability to add some metadata input so folks could give descriptions of a route that could describe being off or a pain in the butt in places. Or simply describes a route as being right on target. I do realize that’s a bit subjective and depends on users actually entering the info. Apologies if something like this is already there... since I haven’t looked in the library yet.

And yes, thanks Bill for a very nice function.