GPX Library (new)

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: GPX Library (new)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

The Upload GPX File is now active in the library system and has search "tags" functionality. I'm now working on adding the tags to the locator map search function.

GPX Library
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:28 am The Upload GPX File is now active in the library system and has search "tags" functionality. I'm now working on adding the tags to the locator map search function.

GPX Library
Hey Bill. Aside from using the GPX Library link you provide here how can someone find it on the site on their own once this thread becomes old and forgotten? Sorry in advance if I’m missing something obvious.

Stu
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

greenonion wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:28 am The Upload GPX File is now active in the library system and has search "tags" functionality. I'm now working on adding the tags to the locator map search function.

GPX Library
Hey Bill. Aside from using the GPX Library link you provide here how can someone find it on the site on their own once this thread becomes old and forgotten? Sorry in advance if I’m missing something obvious.

Stu
Good question and point. Seems like it should be found in the Routes drop down list of options, but I don't see it.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I have a few things to finish over the next few days and then I’ll put the library link out on the site. It will be in the pull-down menus and several other pages where it’s appropriate
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks Bill.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Update:

I just added the TAGS field to the locator map search criteria. Please remember that tags currently can only be used on direct gpx library uploads, so all of the existing route/trip gpx files out there (1300+) will not have searchable tags yet.

If you're interested, here are a couple I just uploaded using the new page:

La Plata Peak Winter Variation:
Search Criteria:
  • Peak: La Plata Peak
  • Tags: Winter-Variation, Bushwhacking
Ervin + Blaurock from West Winfield:
Search Criteria:
  • Peak: Blaurock
  • Tags: Bushwhacking
GPX Library
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I added the GPX Library link right up there ^^ on the main site menu. This year I may re-design the entire site interface so this is good enough for now.

For those of you who have GPX files on the site, use "My GPX Files" to see them all in one spot. This is also accessible from MY STUFF -> My GPX Files, when hovering over your username on the home page.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:55 am I added the GPX Library link right up there ^^ on the main site menu. This year I may re-design the entire site interface so this is good enough for now.

For those of you who have GPX files on the site, use "My GPX Files" to see them all in one spot. This is also accessible from MY STUFF -> My GPX Files, when hovering over your username on the home page.
Excellent!! Can never have too much quality geospatial data. Thanks for thinking of, and implementing, a very useful enhancement to the site, Bill.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

More updates to the library interface:
  • Profiles added to individual track lines (a gpx file may have multiple). As seen in the images below, click the track line on map and then the Profile button.
  • The results area is scrollable and will show all entries for your search criteria, even if you only select a User.
  • By default, the locator maps shows the 15 most-recent gpx uploads.
  • You can now Edit the attributes of a GPX upload via the "My GPX Files" page.
  • More to come...
GPX Library

gpxlib1.jpg
gpxlib1.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
gpxlib2.jpg
gpxlib2.jpg (179.65 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
gpxlib3.jpg
gpxlib3.jpg (139.57 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Bill,

This is a great feature, but I'm running into an issue. I may have the answer, but wonder if you can confirm (sorry if this has already been explained):

It appears that when there are no downloadable GPX files, the site just returns all downloadable GPX files. That is, I see no number in parentheses after, for instance, Eagle Peak A in the drop-down, and it returns 1419 GPX files - none of which seem to be for Eagle Peak A (see screenshot). And if I search trip reports for Eagle Peak A, I see Otina's has a GPX file, but it is not downloadable. (If I do the same trip report search but restrict to ones with a GPX file, it returns zero.)

I do sometimes like to see others' GPX routes, but I don't expect to ever download one (to take on a hike, for instance). I know it's nitpicky since it's not much more work to comb through results via the trip reports menu, but do you have plans to populate the GPX menu with non-downloadable files, too?

Either way, thanks for the continual upgrades to the site.

GPX_screenshot.jpg
GPX_screenshot.jpg (300.23 KiB) Viewed 5504 times
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

^^ I noticed this too, as apparently I only have 3 gpx files that I’ve allowed downloads for (2 are likely mistakes). I was also wondering if you were going to add these gpx tracks to the mix (yet keep them map only, no download), since I have zero problem with users viewing the tracks - I just don’t want someone blindly following my tracks, since sometimes I didn’t always choose the best route, and people should read the TR to find out my decision making thoughts. I also think people should use their brains, and not follow the pings in a gps unit.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:39 pm ...I just don’t want someone blindly following my tracks, since sometimes I didn’t always choose the best route, and people should read the TR to find out my decision making thoughts.
I could have sworn I completely read your Boulder Mountain-Mount Mamma report before taking the same route. I re-read the report when I got back and somehow clearly missed the swinging from aspen to aspen on the descent. Holy crap that was a steep mess. So yes, folks really need to read reports (twice!) before following a route.