Trip report Google maps

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Trip report Google maps

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

When I click on these using android I just get a blank screen? It use to work fine for me. Thanks for any help!
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Trip report Google maps

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

So, you're clicking the "TRIP REPORTS" menu and then the orange "Display Google Map" button while on your Android phone/tablet?

I don't see an obvious problem with the page but I don't have a physical Android device to test on right now.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Are you referring to trip reports with GPX files attached and the option to "display google maps" at the bottom? If so, I just opened one and clicked the button and it worked fine on a Google Pixel
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:09 am So, you're clicking the "TRIP REPORTS" menu and then the orange "Display Google Map" button while on your Android phone/tablet?

I don't see an obvious problem with the page but I don't have a physical Android device to test on right now.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
I'm sorry I wasn't very specific. I'm actually in someone's report with a gpx file attached and I hit display google map like yaktoleft13 mentions.

Ok, so I tried a friends phone and it works fine for them so I guess this is specific to my phone. It's a galaxy 7 so maybe it's getting too old.
20210304_101811.jpg
20210304_101811.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
Save Challenger Point
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I'm getting the same thing on my Galaxy J7. I tried looking at the map in the recent San Miguel trip report by supranihilest. I don't look at the maps in trip reports very much, so I'm not sure whether or when this used to work on my phone
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

DaveLanders wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 am I'm getting the same thing on my Galaxy J7. I tried looking at the map in the recent San Miguel trip report by supranihilest. I don't look at the maps in trip reports very much, so I'm not sure whether or when this used to work on my phone
This just starting happening for me recently. At least a weeks now though.
Save Challenger Point
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Ok, once I get back to an appropriate device I’ll take a look.

Thanks for the heads-up!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 am Ok, once I get back to an appropriate device I’ll take a look.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Ok, nevermind. I updated chrome and now it works.
Save Challenger Point
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Hooray! Maybe some of my most recent Google Map/Profile/etc. changes weren’t well received by that older browser version or perhaps it simply wasn’t refreshing some of the new script files.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

When I use Chrome it works. It's version 88.0.4324.181, which is the latest according to the Play Store.

When I use the Samsung Internet Browser, it still doesn't work. It's version 13.2.2.4, also the latest according to the Play Store. I tried closing all of the tabs and the browser itself, and then reopening everything, and it still doesn't work. A 14ers.com logo briefly flashes in the middle, but the map is blank.

Since it works in Chrome, it isn't a big deal that it doesn't work in the Samsung Internet Browser. So if you don't want to spend any more of your valuable time on this, I understand completely
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Hmm,
I'll keep looking.

Thanks
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:30 pm Hooray! Maybe some of my most recent Google Map/Profile/etc. changes weren’t well received by that older browser version or perhaps it simply wasn’t refreshing some of the new script files.
Thanks for checking into it! I had forgotten I needed that updated and finally put 2 and 2 together. Still doesn't work in Samsung browser like Dave mentioned, but I'm not concerned with that either. Hope I didn't waste your time.
Save Challenger Point