Home Page Changes

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Home Page Changes

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I made a few changes on the home page:

The photo slideshow uses 15 random images each time the page is refreshed and I'll be adding some controls to it so it can be paused, etc. On most mobile devices, the slideshow will not be displayed.

The peak list on the left is gone. Clutter!

The CAIC avalanche map will show up automatically on the left when levels are 4+ or you choose to display it at any level, using DISPLAY SETTINGS.

360 panos can no longer be displayed on the home page. Sorry.

The RECENT ACTIVITY area on the right remains but now it can be collapsed.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Home Page Changes

Post by highpilgrim »

I like it!

Course I can't revel in my completion list anymore. Oh, wait, that was eight years ago. Good call, Bill. :mrgreen:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

FYI: On my desktop, the front page is blank other than the right side.
Front.JPG
Front.JPG (83.47 KiB) Viewed 4833 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Scott P wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am FYI: On my desktop, the front page is blank other than the right side.
You probably had panos display, so just refresh again and it may get the photos going.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 am
Scott P wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am FYI: On my desktop, the front page is blank other than the right side.
You probably had panos display, so just refresh again and it may get the photos going.
It started out blank for me, but corrected itself. Looks good.
Century Bound, eventually.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Feel free to post if you see any problems and I'll check when I get back in from shoveling snow. :)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 am
Works now. :thumbup:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Is there a way to identify the peak on the homepage picture? Also, I kind of liked the peak list, mostly for quick access to the info.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Bill is the most selfless person I know.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Sorry Bill, I appreciate this site and the work you put into providing all the great info for us but can't say I like the changes. Samsung Galaxy S5e tablet. Same mostly blank white screen as Scott's picture. The old version didn't have the background photos but at least had a generic background image for us mobile device users and the peak list filled some some of the page. If Recent Activity is collapsed the page is nothing but a menu bar. Regarding Recent Activity - old font was dark gray and would go to light gray if I viewed the thread, new font is cyan and doesn't change after viewing a thread.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Cygnus X1 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:59 pm Sorry Bill, I appreciate this site and the work you put into providing all the great info for us but can't say I like the changes. Samsung Galaxy S5e tablet. Same mostly blank white screen as Scott's picture. The old version didn't have the background photos but at least had a generic background image for us mobile device users and the peak list filled some some of the page. If Recent Activity is collapsed the page is nothing but a menu bar. Regarding Recent Activity - old font was dark gray and would go to light gray if I viewed the thread, new font is cyan and doesn't change after viewing a thread.
I hear ya. Not such a big deal with a phone but a tablet looks empty right now.

I'll get the slideshow onto tablets soon as I wanted to do it with a different set of photos to save bandwidth. I just have to spend some time selecting and creating the images. Until I get that done, I'll get some static background images on there.
Thanks!
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Cygnus X1 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:59 pm Sorry Bill, I appreciate this site and the work you put into providing all the great info for us but can't say I like the changes. Samsung Galaxy S5e tablet. Same mostly blank white screen as Scott's picture. The old version didn't have the background photos but at least had a generic background image for us mobile device users and the peak list filled some some of the page. If Recent Activity is collapsed the page is nothing but a menu bar. Regarding Recent Activity - old font was dark gray and would go to light gray if I viewed the thread, new font is cyan and doesn't change after viewing a thread.
I hear ya. Not such a big deal with a phone but a tablet looks empty right now.

I'll get the slideshow onto tablets soon as I wanted to do it with a different set of photos to save bandwidth. I just have to spend some time selecting and creating the images. Until I get that done, I'll get some static background images on there.
Thanks!
Thanks Bill :thumbup: