Where find Name History entries for 14ers?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Where find Name History entries for 14ers?

Post by 14erFred »

I'm unable to locate the Name History entries for the 14ers on the 14ers.com website. When I click on <PEAKS> and <14ERS>, and then click on an individual 14er, I see the tab listed for the Name History of the particular peak near the bottom of the panel on the left. But when I click on <NAME HISTORY>, I get a message saying "Sorry, this page is currently unavailable." Is there another way to view the Name History for each 14er? Or has this feature been disabled?
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where find Name History entries for 14ers?

Post by greenonion »

Looking for how 14er Fred got it’s name? :mrgreen:
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

One of the earliest collections of information and name origins for Colorado’s 14ers was written by John Lathrop Jerome Hart in 1925. The book's title: “Fourteen Thousand Feet: A History of the Naming and Early Ascents of the High Colorado Peaks”.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

You can go to the 14er list on ListsofJohn.com. if you go to the entry for a peak you are interested in, there will be a link to the "BGN Page" near the name of the peak. Some of these entries have the history of the name of the peak. Elbert didn't, but Massive and Harvard did; those are the only ones I checked.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

Yeah I'm getting "Sorry, this page is currently unavailable too."

Edit: I think it's everything under the "14erology" sections.
Same result for "Geology" entries.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry, I was working on that page recently and forgot to remove the code that made it temporarily unavailable while I was updating.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Thanks to uwe and DaveLanders for the suggested resources. And thanks to Bill M. for restoring the link to the Name History for each 14er.
Happy New Year to all!
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius