Error, posting to TR's

If you have a problem with a non-forum page of the site, please post here so I can take a look. I appreciate being notified so I can make it right. -Bill M.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Error, posting to TR's

Post by d_baker »

Has anyone else received error messages when trying to post a comment to trip reports today?
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Error, posting to TR's

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Just posted one without a problem.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I tried to comment on 2 separate reports and got the, "email Bill, there's something wrong. Copy your text..." something like that anyway!
But i just tried again and it posted, but without the comment title coming thru. Oh well
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I tried three times to comment on a report around two weeks ago and got the error.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

d_baker wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:21 pm I tried to comment on 2 separate reports and got the, "email Bill, there's something wrong. Copy your text..." something like that anyway!
But i just tried again and it posted, but without the comment title coming thru. Oh well
Not sure but I'll look into it. Thanks for letting me know
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

It could be input sanitization. In other words there might be words or symbols in your comment that aren't allowed because they could be used to attack the site so when the comment processor sees those words or symbols it deliberately throws an error instead of posting the comment. I can't remember the word(s) exactly but I've had a similar thing happen when posting CR photo captions - particular words caused errors.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

supranihilest wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:25 am It could be input sanitization. In other words there might be words or symbols in your comment that aren't allowed because they could be used to attack the site so when the comment processor sees those words or symbols it deliberately throws an error instead of posting the comment. I can't remember the word(s) exactly but I've had a similar thing happen when posting CR photo captions - particular words caused errors.
Yup, it’s probably in the form sanitization process. The TR system, including comments, has its own and is likely barfing on some text. I’m b-deep in some mobile app changes over the next couple of days but I will get to it.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Would these do it?
< > 《 》
They were part of what I had tried to post.

Edit: however, I had those above in one title comment and when it didn't work, I went to another report to post a comment, using actual words in title box, but still had an error.