Broke Google

If you have a problem with a non-forum page of the site, please post here so I can take a look. I appreciate being notified so I can make it right. -Bill M.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Broke Google

Post by Boggy B »

This maybe happened a while ago, but I noticed lately that all of Google's indexed links into the site for peaks (or at least 13ers) are broken. Looks like the query param changed from "peakkey" to "peakid," and the ids changed.

I've always just Googled "14ers <peak>" to jump to a peak so that's kind of a bummer. Eventually the new pages will be indexed but in the meantime it makes the site look broken from the outside.

Probably not much to be done. I just came here to complain.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Broke Google

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yeah,
I submitted a new sitemap to google a while back and their reindexing doesn't seemed to be getting everything. Dumb

I'll add a quick key conversion to the 13er pages until Google gets updated
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I patched it.
Boggy B wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:21 am Probably not much to be done. I just came here to complain.
I'm glad you did!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

More information on peakkey/peakid in case anyone cares...

Years back I merged 13ers.com and 14ers.com but had some duplicate peak key issues because of how I set the sites up originally. Recently, I finally moved to a site-wide unique key for peaks and also applied it to the mobile apps. The changes allowed me to clean up some code and make it easier to maintain in the future, as well as add lower peaks if we choose to do so.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Heh, figured it was something like that and you didn't have a mapping from old ids to new.

Google links are working again.

Thanks!