Needle Route Description

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Needle Route Description

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I did it.

I changed the standard Crestone Needle route description on 14ers.com to use the East Gully Direct as the preferred line and changed the old crossover to be a variation, described at the end of the route description.

Last year we figured out that the chunk of rock that made for an easier crossing of the gully was washed out a while back. This made the crossover even more difficult and IMO the difficulty was raised enough that the crossover option was no longer easier than taking the direct line up the entire east gully. And we've always known the crossover option is a bit more complicated. Hopefully this change will also reduce the possibility of people getting off-route on the mountain.

Oh, and I'm going with Class 4 on the difficulty.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: ❗Needle Route Description

Post by CheapCigarMan »

You've kept the Crossover as a variation route. Well thought out.
I should be on a mountain
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks, Bill! I'm sure this will help alleviate incidents on the Needle. As always, appreciate all your work!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:19 pm I did it.

I change the standard Crestone Needle route description on 14ers.com to use the East Gully Direct as the preferred line and changed the old crossover to be a variation, described at the end of the route description.

Last year we figured out that the chunk of rock that made for an easier crossing of the gully was washed out a while back. This made the crossover even more difficult and IMO the difficulty was raised enough that the crossover option was no longer easier than taking the direct line up the entire east gully. And we've always known the crossover option is a bit more complicated. Hopefully this change will also reduce the possibility of people getting off-route on the mountain.

Oh, and I'm going with Class 4 on the difficulty.
Great call! Will be interesting to see how the number of rescues/recoveries either decreases or increases. My bet is on decreases.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Definitely the right call. I'm strongly in favor of making a route less convoluted and more natural rather than trying to to make it slightly less hard technically. No reason to complicate things to try to keep it 3rd class when the 4th class option makes way more sense
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Good call on the class-4 rating as well.

Just a thought, with all the rains we have been getting and I'm sure, some of the more recent accidents which,
could probably be partly attributed to the excess moisture, what do you think about creating a blanket statement across
all route descriptions addressing the possibility of an uptick in route difficulty/hazards due to wet rock, slippage, slides etc?
I think many folks go into the backcountry for hikes/scrambles/climbs knowing it could rain but don't really think
about the effect water has on a route/rock quality until they're directly faced with it.

Thoughts? :-k
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Kiefer wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:43 pm Good call on the class-4 rating as well.

Just a thought, with all the rains we have been getting and I'm sure, some of the more recent accidents which,
could probably be partly attributed to the excess moisture, what do you think about creating a blanket statement across
all route descriptions addressing the possibility of an uptick in route difficulty/hazards due to wet rock, slippage, slides etc?
I think many folks go into the backcountry for hikes/scrambles/climbs knowing it could rain but don't really think
about the effect water has on a route/rock quality until they're directly faced with it.

Also a good idea. I did the needle after a little rain, and a microwave sized rock came down the north gulley as I was ascending it. Even the mountains that are known for being super solid, let one loose every once in awhile.
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

Kiefer wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:43 pm Good call on the class-4 rating as well.

Definitely. I'm coming out this weekend to hike. But thanks to this site and forum I realize that even the "easier" 14ers that I'll be attempting can become much riskier due to the conditions. I appreciate you all and thanks much to Bill!!
Last edited by Gulf_Coast_Hiker on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Good idea, Kiefer.

I can do site-wide route notifications but have to be careful not to over use them because they may start to be ignored because there are a bunch of individual routes which already have alerts.

Maybe a forum post like this one, with an eye-catching icon so it’s obvious? It could then be bumped over the next few weeks.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Great change. I like the "variation" part too. Thanks for all you do!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

My pleasure.

Yeah, I couldn't just ditch the crossover variation since it it's a good climb on its own and the west gully is fun. Basically, I just switched the main and variations in the route description since the "direct east gully" used to be described as the variation.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Next up...

El Diente standard south instead of north :-D

EDIT: And Mt. Wilson :-D :-D