Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Global warming shrinks mountains

Post by Jim Davies »

tundraline wrote:I live in a big air-conditioned house, have three Hummers, a hovercraft, and fly all over the world on a regular basis. After deducting carbon credits for having the proper mindset, my calculated carbon footprint is very small. I know that as an individual I have no responsibility for what is happening to my planet.
Well, at least you're no worse than Al Gore. Or maybe you are Al Gore? After all, you can't spell "tundraline" without "al". ;)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Thanks covfrrider for the fair reply. All I was saying was ...

Beware of radiometric dating methods when trying to apply an age to the earth. There are at least four methods in use presently that have a high degree of error in dating individual rock suites. The error is such that the age dates for rock specimens often don't even overlap. This suggests that the earth may not the 4B to 4.6B years-old figure so many of my colleagues in the science cling tenaciously to. Maybe much less?

As applied to climate change one thing in need of more consideration is that the earth is a more complex system than computer models often suggest. Lack of data collection points is partly to blame. The Sun's contribution of heat is enormous and variable (sunspots versus no sunspots). Geothermal sources often go unnoticed. Along mid-ocean ridges, "black smokers" have temperatures as high as 768 degrees such as is found in one Atlantic vent. All this heat is going somewhere; certainly it eventually rises to the surface to be incorporated into oceanic currents.

Do blooming columbines on the summits of Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Peaks (reports in other threads) mean the planet is warming or cooling?

The more we learn about this planet with an open mind, the more fascinating it becomes ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
tundraline
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tundraline »

Jim Davies wrote:
tundraline wrote:I live in a big air-conditioned house, have three Hummers, a hovercraft, and fly all over the world on a regular basis. After deducting carbon credits for having the proper mindset, my calculated carbon footprint is very small. I know that as an individual I have no responsibility for what is happening to my planet.
Well, at least you're no worse than Al Gore. Or maybe you are Al Gore? After all, you can't spell "tundraline" without "al". ;)
What's all this about Al Gore?

rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Mark A Steiner wrote:Beware of radiometric dating methods when trying to apply an age to the earth. There are at least four methods in use presently that have a high degree of error in dating individual rock suites. The error is such that the age dates for rock specimens often don't even overlap. This suggests that the earth may not the 4B to 4.6B years-old figure so many of my colleagues in the science cling tenaciously to. Maybe much less?

Geo-geek!! :D
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I'm interested in knowing why Obama is so lame from those who think he is.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

VWLover wrote:I'm interested in knowing why Obama is so lame from those who think he is.
You could try reading this very long transcript, or find the podcast at the same site and listen to that, a 2 hour interview with a guy who wrote an Obama book.

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/talkradi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ebcad0d8b1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

rob runkle wrote:Geo-geek!! :D
Nah, that stuff is basic Young-Earth Creationism.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
tundraline
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tundraline »

VWLover wrote:I'm interested in knowing why Obama is so lame from those who think he is.
I still have not figured out what Obama has been doing with himself for his past nearly 48 years on the planet. I understand he was a "community activist" in Chicago for six years, taught Constitutional Law somewhere for a few semesters, and served in the Illinois State Legislature for a couple of terms (a part-time position). These are hardly impressive qualifications for President of the United States. By any reasonable or objective measure, Obama would appear to be woefully ill-equipped to handle the awesome responsibilities of the job. Our country can ill afford eight years of nitwitdom followed by at least four years of a lightweight at the helm whose primary assets are a nice smile and incessant talk about "change" (whatever that means). These are my problems with Obama, and the reason why I will probably wind up reluctantly voting for a geriatric war monger.
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Of course, your "geriatric war monger" basically went straight from the military to Congress. Other than quantity of time served, how is he any more qualified?

I, for one, would welcome a President who has actually read the Constitution. :D
tundraline
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tundraline »

Jim Davies wrote:Of course, your "geriatric war monger" basically went straight from the military to Congress. Other than quantity of time served, how is he any more qualified?

I, for one, would welcome a President who has actually read the Constitution. :D
McCain was a squadron leader in the Navy, and has actual training and experience in leadership and management. His long service in the U.S. Congress is much more valuable experience than Obama's part-time job in the Illinois legislature. Obama has been on the political scene for a very short period of time, and is largely an unknown. In truth, however, I feel queasy supporting McCain, who has his own notable problems. I see McCain as the lesser of two evils, and Obama as fundamentally too risky a choice for president. Lincoln was also an unknown, however, when he ran for president, and he turned out to be one of our best. But I don't Obama is any Lincoln either.
Willifitz
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Willifitz »

How a discussion can mutate as time goes by. Since it now involves the merits of our next commander in chief and how experienced they are; think about all those recent guys, not one had any great years of worthy experience. Lastly, do we really need someone in the White House leading this country who doesn't know how many houses he owns. He may actually try to invade Italy, Viet Nam or Turkey because he thinks someone is sleeping in his bed and eaten his porridge. Let's pick someone who will get us excited about this country again.
tundraline
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tundraline »

Willifitz wrote: Let's pick someone who will get us excited about this country again.
Obama has charisma, and does excite crowds. What I'm afraid of is that all he's good at.