Crestone Peak - Northwest Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
glodder
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Crestone Peak - Northwest Couloir

Post by glodder »

Agree with doggler and Kiefer, loose rock and watch out closely for your exit point. I climbed and descended that couloir in early August 2004, and there was a snow slope crossing that was unavoidable. I would plan on bringing equipment anticipating a traverse across a steep snow slope about 150 feet wide. We crossed that slope using just footprints with no spikes or ice axe, and I thought it was nerve-racking and dangerous. One slip and you're going down that slope all the way to the bottom, probably with a bunch of rock collisions on your way.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pctjeff23 »

Car camping is indeed allowed at the road pullouts going toward the Willow Creek Trailhead? Seems like starting at Willow Creek might be a better option, since it does not appear that car camping is possible at Cottonwood Creek Trailhead, according to the Trailhead Info page.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

There's no room at the cottonwood trailhead, which is on private property. The willow trailhead has a few spots.

http://osm.org/go/TzSilx1vV-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Anyone who ascends or descends the NW Couloir without snow has my total respect (well, with snow too). Good luck and be safe. That thing scared the heck out of me looking down it from the saddle when I did the Red Gully route.
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pctjeff23 »

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning toward ascending Northwest Couloir and descending the South Face, based on people's responses on this thread.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

semitrueskerm wrote:Anyone who ascends or descends the NW Couloir without snow has my total respect (well, with snow too). Good luck and be safe. That thing scared the heck out of me looking down it from the saddle when I did the Red Gully route.
I agree. We also went up the South Face and at the top of it, you look sraight down the NW Coulier. It looked super narrow, steep and loose. Good luck. At one time I've read it used to be the standard route up.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by bking14ers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 pm
At one time I've read it used to be the standard route up.
It was (up and down). In the late 1980's we did the traverse from Needle to Peak (in the fog) and descended that route. Very steep and loose. To say that I could feel the wind flying up my ... well, you know what I mean ... is an understatement.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

what about backpack to south colony lakes, camp, climb crestone needle -> traverse to Peak -> descend NW couloir, then east ridge to summit of KC, then reverse to bears playground back to south colony lakes.
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pctjeff23 »

That would be a direct route, but the traverse from Needle to Peak is a class 4, which I have never done. I wanted to keep it to class 3 climbing, since I do not have any technical experience with ropes.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

pctjeff23 wrote:Car camping is indeed allowed at the road pullouts going toward the Willow Creek Trailhead? Seems like starting at Willow Creek might be a better option, since it does not appear that car camping is possible at Cottonwood Creek Trailhead, according to the Trailhead Info page.
True, but there is excellent camping a few miles in.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I did the NW Couloir for my first route on the Peak as well when it was in dry conditions. Sounded like a great idea until we were in it. The middle was wet/icy so we were forced onto harder terrain on the right side. It was scary and made worse by copious amounts of rock fall coming down from a herd of sheep above us. I went back and did the North Buttress and felt that although it was technically harder, it was an overall safer route (no rockfall). Here are two photos from when we did it...

Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

This view (from this website) is pretty much spot on. You go directly down (about 2/3 of the way) the cut/gully and then branch off to viewer's left angling down to the bear's playground.

http://www.14ers.com/photos/peakphoto.p ... 2&start=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM