Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by dcbates80911 »

Shocked at hearing this news is an understatement. I enjoyed getting to know Jim at the CS happy hours over the last two years. I remember his concern for one of the newer climbers on the cold summit during the 2012 Winter Welcomer. He was really thinking of the other person. Late last summer, he invited me out to learn to rock climb. He said he loved to teach people. I was actually looking forward to taking him up on the offer. My condolences to his family and he will be missed.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

I think Jim was 60 or 61...? He certainly had the energy, athleticism, and enthusiasm of a man half his age. Jim was an emergency-medicine physician...a medical specialty that requires exceptional skill, psychological stamina, and dedication.

I'm so sorry to hear that Jim lost his battle with cancer. Britt, thanks for keeping us all in the loop.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

May his beautiful spirit rest in peace forever, and may his memory be a blessing all the days of our lives.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

:(

Wow - never expected this. One of my favorite things about Jim is that he treated everyone on here as a long-time friend.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

I regret that I never met Jim, but I always enjoyed the exuberance in his trip reports. One of his TRs inspired me to take up skiing for approaches because he made it sound so fun. I owe him for that. Our mountaineering world just became a bit smaller.
Bruton
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bruton »

I love you And miss you terribly.
RIP my good friend.
I hope I can honor your final wishes.
And continue your work in the climbing community.

I'll bring the beers, I'll bring the beers.
Goodbye old friend

Matt
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Bruton wrote:I love you And miss you terribly.
RIP my good friend.
I hope I can honor your final wishes.
And continue your work in the climbing community.

I'll bring the beers, I'll bring the beers.
Goodbye old friend

Matt
Matt…happy to see your post on here. I remember stories of old Jim told about you.
Thanks for honoring him!
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Sorry to hear this news. Met him on a winter climb of Quandary in 2010. I was in awe at how much faster he was than me during the ascent. Even though it was immediately obvious to both of us that there was no way I would keep up with him for very long, he still took some time to talk with me and was very nice about it. RIP Jim.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I am speechless.

Met Jim at a HH and then ran into him again at the same bar about a week later when he gave me a big warm hug! I could have talked to him all night.

Selfishly, I am sorry we never did climb together, but more sorry that you had to pass so early in your life. Your zeal and zest for the mountains was infectious and you will be missed dearly.

Rest in Peace Jim,

- Valerie
Last edited by IHikeLikeAGirl on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

Like many I met Jim on one of the Winter Welcomers he was so involved with.

Sadly I never got the chance to 'hike' with him as he was just so damn fast but from the few words we shared, if he ever thought I wasnt going to make that summit, he would have been right by my side to encourage and give advice, just seemed like the person he was.

I will certainly miss his amazing photography and am saddened the world lost another climber who felt it was about more than 'conquering' everything (though he did a pretty damn good job of that in the hills).

RIP Jim and my thoughts and prayers include you and your family.

Brian
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
slaggbottom
14ers: 55 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (52)

Post by slaggbottom »

Jim's trip reports were works of art. I'm grateful for all the inspiration he provided through words and photos. I know I'll be returning to those TRs again, and his life will continue to have an impact.
-Matt
My Trip Reports: http://matt.tracz.org
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

I met Jim on a winter climb of the Decalibron group a few years ago when he was just getting into the 14ers and his zest for life and adventure in the mountains was evident. I had learned of his illness a couple months ago and was shocked. His contributions to the 14er community will be missed. I was just thinking about reaching out to him again this week and sadly was not able to see him in his final days.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson