Memorial Weekend San Juans

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tree_beard
14ers: 48  4  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Memorial Weekend San Juans

Post by tree_beard »

Im looking for a partner (s) for Memorial Day weekend. Im in CoS and can carpool, plan to leave town Friday after work.

From Kilpakler basin for Wilson/El Diente, do the traverse in no decided order and then drive over to Sneffels and skin/ski sneffels on Sunday, conditions permitting. Either pack up and head out or hang around with some combination of drinking beer and fishing, drive home Monday a.m.

Any beta on TH, driving and routes will be appreciated.
Love,

Tree Beard
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Memorial Weekend San Juans

Post by aholle88 »

I may be down in the same area for the Coors face that weekend on WP. Not particularly looking for a new partner on that one, but you can send me a PM if you have some interest/experience. Highly recommend saving some energy for Sneffels. Although Snef is an easy-ish day, you'd probably have more fun if you just skied the north couloirs on Wilson or Diente and then did Sneffels the day after, versus traversing. The traverse is fun and all, but ski them while you can! And have energy to enjoy Sneffels, it is one of the most beautiful places I have been to in the snow, top 3. Go back in the fall and traverse.

EDIT: the road was open last memorial day on YBB/Sneff up close to the 2WD trailhead, so plan to start from there. Or even at the YBB/governor junction, but either way, it is better than the winter closure.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

tree_beard wrote:Im looking for a partner (s) for Memorial Day weekend. Im in CoS and can carpool, plan to leave town Friday after work.

From Kilpakler basin for Wilson/El Diente, do the traverse in no decided order and then drive over to Sneffels and skin/ski sneffels on Sunday, conditions permitting. Either pack up and head out or hang around with some combination of drinking beer and fishing, drive home Monday a.m.

Any beta on TH, driving and routes will be appreciated.
deleted
tree_beard
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tree_beard »

Bump... Bueller..
Love,

Tree Beard
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

PM sent
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

I'll be in Grand Junction that weekend and I'm hoping to bag Sneffels on Saturday as a show climb. I'm looking for partners if anyone is interested for saturday
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

i'm interested in the san juans over memorial day weekend too, wilsons area, how's the snowpack down there holding up?
drhansenej
14ers: 52  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drhansenej »

I'm interested in Mnt. Wilson via Kilpacker. I'd be coming up from ABQ, could hike it on the saturday.
tree_beard
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tree_beard »

Things are coming along for a couple of us to traverse on saturday from kilpacker. PM me if interested in joining
Love,

Tree Beard
Jonathan Deffenbaugh
14ers: 58 
13ers: 83
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jonathan Deffenbaugh »

I would be down for doing the Wilson/El Diente traverse if that's still in the cards for Memorial Day Weekend. I would also be coming up from Albq, NM so there's potential for carpooling as well if anyone is coming up from that area. Been hoping to have a second try at the Mt Wilson/El Diente traverse for sometime now after only being able to do El Diente from the north side. Great way to start off the new season after having been climbing in the High Sierra the past four years. My most recent major traverse experience was accomplishing the Palisade Traverse (Starlight Thunderbolt, North Palisade to Polemonium & Mt Sill separately) in the Sierra Nevada two years ago, which was a multi-day event requiring technical climbing (5.9 at the highest level with Thunderbolt's summit block) while also including having done climbs such as Lone Pine Peak's North Ridge (5.5-5.7) and Bear Creek Spire's Northeast Arete (Class 5) last year. Would be nice to get Mt Wilson at least, since I've only got 4 14ers left, plus getting one of the great traverses down would be a nice bonus as well. As far as Mt Sneffels goes I would be down for doing that again as well. Beautiful area! Unfortunately I'm not a skier, so hopefully glissading will suffice. I'll PM you my contact info so that we can better coordinate. Were you planning on doing the traverse from El Diente to Mt Wilson?
tree_beard
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tree_beard »

Bump... getting closer to time.. looks like 4-6 heads interested in one day or both from NM, western CO and the front range. PM if i mossed your interest or if you wanna join
Love,

Tree Beard
trsippel
14ers: 55  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trsippel »

I'm interested in the traverse! I will send you a PM :)