Dogs on Quandary?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lcjackson
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Dogs on Quandary?

Post by lcjackson »

Are dogs allowed on the Quandary Peak trail?
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on Quandary?

Post by Tejonmax »

Yes they are allowed on Quandary. As in most wilderness areas you need to either have the dog on a lease or under voice command. A lot of people here will try to tell you that that MUST be on lease but they always neglect to read the rest of the sentence in the wilderness rules that says "or under voice command". Do what is right for your dog. They are all different
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Read about the legend of Horton the Hiking Hound. A local canine who brefriended climbing groups and climbed Quandry most days.
https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... on#p554638
Tejonmax
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tejonmax »

peter303 wrote:Read about the legend of Horton the Hiking Hound. A local canine who brefriended climbing groups and climbed Quandry most days.
https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... on#p554638
The story seems to be gone from that link. Too bad. What a great story
Tejonmax
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tejonmax »

here is a youtube video about Horton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLFM4JE_Ic
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

lcjackson wrote:Are dogs allowed on the Quandary Peak trail?
Yes, but everything depends on how well your dog will handle an encounter with mountain goats that do frequent the peak. It is known that the goats have attacked ill-behaved or loose dogs. Good luck!
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Tejonmax wrote:Yes they are allowed on Quandary. As in most wilderness areas you need to either have the dog on a lease or under voice command. A lot of people here will try to tell you that that MUST be on lease but they always neglect to read the rest of the sentence in the wilderness rules that says "or under voice command". Do what is right for your dog. They are all different
Quandary is not in a wilderness area. It's under forest service control (Dillon Ranger District) and the leash regulations are those of Summit County. Also many wilderness areas do require a leash only. Every wilderness area is different. Eagles Nest requires a leash. Holy Cross does not.

(I hike with my dog off leash all the time, I'm just trying to clear up what the actual rules are)
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Was up on Quandary Saturday (never again) and was being threatened by a momma goat who refused us further passage. She kept gesturing a charge. Then someone came around the corner with a dog and she did not want any part of that and ran off. So I would say dogs are more than welcome.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
LURE
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Tejonmax wrote:Yes they are allowed on Quandary. As in most wilderness areas you need to either have the dog on a lease or under voice command. A lot of people here will try to tell you that that MUST be on lease but they always neglect to read the rest of the sentence in the wilderness rules that says "or under voice command". Do what is right for your dog. They are all different
Quandary is not in a wilderness area. It's under forest service control (Dillon Ranger District) and the leash regulations are those of Summit County. Also many wilderness areas do require a leash only. Every wilderness area is different. Eagles Nest requires a leash. Holy Cross does not.

(I hike with my dog off leash all the time, I'm just trying to clear up what the actual rules are)
Often time isn't there a caveat that it can be off leash if the dog "is under total voice command control" or something?
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

LURE wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:

Often time isn't there a caveat that it can be off leash if the dog "is under total voice command control" or something?
Why don't you read the regulations or make a few phone calls? The websites are often vague, but usually mention that wilderness areas CAN require dogs to be leashed at ALL times. So, what you're asking (or alluding to) is incorrect.
LURE
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Conor wrote:
LURE wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:

Why don't you read the regulations or make a few phone calls? The websites are often vague, but usually mention that wilderness areas CAN require dogs to be leashed at ALL times. So, what you're asking (or alluding to) is incorrect.
Don't even own a dog. Just trying to keep some inquisitive discussion going. Am I incorrect though? I feel like I have seen regulations with the word "or" between the words "on leash" and "under total voice control" before.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

LURE wrote: Often time isn't there a caveat that it can be off leash if the dog "is under total voice command control" or something?
Not always. It varies by Forest Service area, Wilderness area, and sometimes county or other local regulation.

And sometimes the regulations can be specific to an individual trail (Conundrum Hot Springs for example).