Dogs on Quandary?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Dogs on Quandary?

Post by rpdawes »

Dave B wrote:90% of off leash dogs I've met on trails are more well behaved than 75% of Colorado drivers.
I agree fully. Can you explain what 10% of off leash dogs did to you?
coneydogron
14ers: 52 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coneydogron »

I typically stay away from the opionionated posts but I'll chime in... The only injury I have ever sustained in the mountains (knock on wood) was being attacked by someone's dog coming down the upper road off Antero. The hikers we're coming up the gully but there dogs beat them to the road. One was super friendly, one was not. I waited to the last minute before getting ready to use lethal force (sending it off the mountain) taking four bites to my legs. Luckily the hikers got up to the road and called it and the dog thankfully left.

I love seeing dogs on the trail (leashed or unleashed) and it pretty much brightens my day. But I guess the moral of my story is don't be a dick and leash your dog if you know your dog isn't 110% friendly. As a dog owner, and owner off a extremely friendly dog I would still leash him. He's only 99.9 % friendly...
"A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't" - Tom Waits
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

rpdawes wrote:
Dave B wrote:90% of off leash dogs I've met on trails are more well behaved than 75% of Colorado drivers.
Nothing in particular, just an estimate of how few dogs are less well behaved than the top 25% of Colorado drivers.

I've actually never had a bad run in with a dog out on the trails, and I've been on my fair share of trails.

Hearing individuals claims of multiple negative encounters smells like BS to me.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Domestication is slavery.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Dave B wrote:
rpdawes wrote:
Nothing in particular, just an estimate of how few dogs are less well behaved than the top 25% of Colorado drivers.

I've actually never had a bad run in with a dog out on the trails, and I've been on my fair share of trails.

Hearing individuals claims of multiple negative encounters smells like BS to me.
I think one individual claimed of a few bad encounters. And several shared their one bad encounter. Seems reasonable.

I was aggressively, yes aggressively, barked and growled at by a big, doberman? I think, coming down Mt. Sniktau Saturday. Did it to every person that passed it, some trail runners got real surprised. That's technically a negative encounter with a dog. And I've had plenty of encounters similar to that. No I've never been bit nor have had random dog attempt to.

He was leashed, don't worry, I didn't kill anything, ya crazies.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Dave B wrote:Hearing individuals claims of multiple negative encounters smells like BS to me.
Really? Would you mind telling me which of these claims "smells like BS" to you?

As for myself, I have had many bad experiences with dogs, and many good ones as well. It's almost always the owner that makes the difference.

A non-aggressive dog isn't always a good dog though. Just because no one has complained to you, don't mean that your dog is always well behaved. In person, most people (luckily) are non-confrontational.

Once on Belford, my three year old son and I were eating lunch on the trail when this dog comes running up the trail jumps on my son and eats his sandwich. The dog wasn't really a danger, but that is certainly not under voice command. The owner comes walking up the trail and said nothing! No apology; he just walked on by. What a douche.

A few years ago I was hiking up a trail in the Flat Tops and some aggressive dog come barking at me and bearing it's teeth. The owner was there saying "throw down your stick" and I was thinking "screw you; I'm not putting down my stick". The owner came and restrained his dog, but was there yelling at me saying his dog was harmless, but afraid of hiking sticks. Those kind of dogs should never be off leash on a trail. He's lucky I'm a nice guy.

While hiking Mount Riley near Haines Alaska, we just narrowly missed being attached by an extremely aggressive dog. By narrowly missed, I mean the dog saw someone else first and attacked her before us. She was in bad shape. Being an adult though, she survived (but certainly had to have a lot of stitches), but if it had attacked on of the kids, it may have been worse.

Of course the list goes on and on, but usually it's just an annoying unleashed dog barking at people or chasing squirrels, marmots, etc. Some owners even say things like "go get 'im boy" and encourage their dog to chase animals. Such things don't warrant a fight or violence, but such dogs don't belong in the mountains, especially off leash.

Then again I have pet many a friendly and well behaved dog on the trail as well.

Maybe it's just that you don't get out much.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timothy »

Dave B wrote:
Timothy wrote: you mean, like, equating the life of a dog with that of a human, that kind of superior attitude?
HUMANZ ARE NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUMANZ! HUMANZ HUMANZ! HUMANZ!
Most assuredly, I will not argue with your belief that you and your dog are equal.
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

LURE wrote:
I was aggressively, yes aggressively, barked and growled at by a big, doberman? I think, coming down Mt. Sniktau Saturday. Did it to every person that passed it, some trail runners got real surprised. That's technically a negative encounter with a dog. And I've had plenty of encounters similar to that. No I've never been bit nor have had random dog attempt to.

Wait, what time were you on Sniktau Saturday and where did this happen? Do you also have a dog?
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

hessma wrote:
LURE wrote:

Wait, what time were you on Sniktau Saturday and where did this happen? Do you also have a dog?
Hmm we got started pretty darn late. Short hike plus good weather forecast so were in no hurry. We probably summited just before noon and were back to the stretch above the lots where this dog was around 1 or so, maybe a tad earlier, I can't recall too well. No we didn't have a dog. Were you up there? Tons of dogs up there that day.

Edit: I should clarify, this dog was going up and we were coming down when this happened. Which may now be obvious from my above description. It was three dudes I think, with three dogs. Just the one was riled up at seeing lots of people.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

I was there! We summited Sniktau at around 7:00am and headed over to Cupid soon after. Sounds like we missed the dog you mentioned.
I know the dog off leash thing can get sketchy. I've been on horseback in the Sangres and had dogs charge the horse I was on. Pretty scary when you are on a very steep and skinny trail.
I've taken away some good info from this thread and hope it makes the trails safer for everyone.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Timothy wrote:Most assuredly, I will not argue with your belief that you and your dog are equal.
I wish! My dog is a way better person than I could ever be.
Make wilderness less accessible.