Near Misses

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Brad2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Near Misses

Post by Brad2 »

TallGrass wrote:
Brad2 wrote:Well at least now TallGrass is classifying this route as Class 4 rather than just Class 3.
Nope, just "class 4 the way I went."
It's baffling that TallGrass insists on the Little Bear NW Face being Class 3. I trust the words of illusion7il as he has done the route four times.

Tell you what, TallGrass, I am willing to make a deal with you to prevent future pointless arguments: I swear I will leave you in peace forever if you just please tell us specifically which two routes you have done on the north face of Missouri Mountain, as well as the dates:
I've done 2 routes of the north face.
AND please tell us the dates of your ascents for all the Sawatch peaks, since you did indicate having completed all of them in your response to the 'Favorite Sawatch?' thread.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Alright alright everyone calm down, I wasn't trying to start a fire this early in the season. Clearly we all are itching to get out and unleash some pent up winter frustration on some peaks.

In comparison to some other peaks that are consensus rated Class 4, Pyramid and North Maroon coming to mind first, I found the NW Face of LB to be both more sustained AND having MUCH more exposure. Subjective point of view is everything...

Coming up to the ridge all alone on LB in very early sunlight and truly getting a look at the traverse ahead of me was an adrenaline pumper unlike anything else I have experienced thus far on a 14er.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Brad2 wrote:I trust the words of illusion7il as he has done the route four times.
Ah, so he's the puppeteer behind the "Brad2" account. :roll:
Brad2 wrote:if you just please tell us specifically which two routes you have done on the north face of Missouri Mountain, as well as the dates:
I've done 2 routes of the north face.
AND please tell us the dates of your ascents for all the Sawatch peaks, since you did indicate having completed all of them in your response to the 'Favorite Sawatch?' thread.
Better idea, come out from behind your troll account and provide direct links to quotes you (mis)attribute to me. :wink:
Brad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brad2 »

IMG_1686.GIF
IMG_1686.GIF (987.77 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Tallgrass Rule: Every thread on the 14ers.com forum will become meta-commentary about TallGrass if TallGrass posts a reply on said thread.

just something i've noticed.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Too bad. I appreciated the vulnerability, technical complexities, and reflective nature of this thread. C'est la vie.
Jurassic World- one way weeds.gif
Jurassic World- one way weeds.gif (968.6 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Brad2 wrote:
Well at least now TallGrass is classifying this route as Class 4 rather than just Class 3. This is progress I suppose.
The TallGrass hate on here gets moronic sometimes. When he said:
TallGrass wrote:It stays at class 2/3 until just below the ridge
what did you think he meant happened at that point, it magically becomes class 1?
Brad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brad2 »

To brichardsson,
You seem to have missed some dialogue. People were concerned that TG was giving bad advice by telling the world, via this forum, that the NW Face of Little Bear is a good alternative to avoid the Hourglass, as people have had 'Near Misses' there- the title of this thread.

The NW Face route is also prone to rockfall, and has significant exposure. The following quote is misleading as to the seriousness of the route:
TallGrass wrote:It stays at class 2/3 until just below the ridge, then scramble onto the LB-Blanca ridge for a brief climb up.
After being called out for poor advice, TG continues to push his advice as per usual:
TallGrass wrote:There are obvious class 2/2+ ramps linked by short class 3 spurts up until just before the ridge. At that point it was class 4 the way I went... but the next person might find an easier line.
And finally, here is where he INSISTS it can be made easier than Class 4 (and earlier claiming the MountainProject route author was off route):
TallGrass wrote:
Brad2 wrote:Well at least now TallGrass is classifying this route as Class 4 rather than just Class 3.
Nope, just "class 4 the way I went."
Does everybody get it now? That TG has a habit of refusing to back down when called out for poor advice. And after all his projected vitriol towards alleged 'trolls', he has his own troll account called zoe saldana.

edit--- and Monster5 and handonbroward had already provided a great deal of information on the NW Face route earlier in this thread, accurately expressing the seriousness of the route.
Last edited by Brad2 on Sat May 12, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Brad2's public checklist is eerily like that of his friend, TG.
How do we know either of you have ever hiked a 14er?!

Re: rockfall.
When a group of us did a spring snow climb of Snowmass, up the E slopes route, I was hit in the forearm by a rock. It was knocked down by one of my partners on the slope above Snowmass Lake during our descent.
As I recall, that talus/scree slope is steep and loose.
I don't think my partner called out rock, but I heard it and looked up to see rocks coming at me and I put up my arm to shield myself and I was hit in the forearm (vs. a body blow or head) by using it as a guard. I didn't really have a place to hide in this case. This was also one of those cases where looking up to see where the rock was coming from was a good call, imo. It's often mentioned to put your head down, but there are cases where I think looking up (judging on sounds of rock alerts or the crashing sound) can be a good thing to do. It's also instinct.
What we should have done was either stuck tighter together during the descent so rocks wouldn't pick up momentum, or space out laterally as we descended. And of course call out rock.
We were the only ones on the mountain that day.
Brad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brad2 »

d_baker wrote:How do we know either of you have ever hiked a 14er?!
Touché Darin. But I assure everyone that I have in fact completed the Colorado 14'ers and most of the California 14'ers. I've also been over 15,000 feet nine times. And most importantly: I have certainly never falsely claimed an ascent of any mountain.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Brad2 wrote:And most importantly: I have certainly never falsely claimed an ascent of any mountain.
I think it's funny that none of the people on this thread, including me, are actually climbing something right now.

Sad way to spend a day off; wasting time on the Gasbag.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

highpilgrim wrote:
Brad2 wrote:And most importantly: I have certainly never falsely claimed an ascent of any mountain.
I think it;s funny that none of the people on this thread, including me, are actually climbing something right now.

Sad way to spend a day off; wasting time on the Gasbag.
Well, I'm in N Dakotaa...