A "No" Cairn

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: A "No" Cairn

Post by cougar »

P7292850.JPG
P7292850.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2333 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

pmeadco wrote:
kellycarter wrote:I'm guessing most would favor design #1.
I'm guessing somebody with the technology and knowhow to do what you suggest would very likely be smart enough to simply follow a GPS track.
Want to reconsider? :arrow: 8 drivers who blindly followed their GPS into disaster & GPS Mix-Up Brings Wrong Turn, and Celebrity, to an American in Iceland
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

TallGrass wrote:
pmeadco wrote:
kellycarter wrote:I'm guessing most would favor design #1.
I'm guessing somebody with the technology and knowhow to do what you suggest would very likely be smart enough to simply follow a GPS track.
Want to reconsider? :arrow: 8 drivers who blindly followed their GPS into disaster & GPS Mix-Up Brings Wrong Turn, and Celebrity, to an American in Iceland
Someone I know was coming back to the midwest from Niagara Falls and followed their GPS until they were accosted and taken in for questioning by Canadian officials-they had been led to leave the country. While it was the best route back a 'machine' didn't take everything else into consideration.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Rollie Free wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
pmeadco wrote:I'm guessing somebody with the technology and knowhow to do what you suggest would very likely be smart enough to simply follow a GPS track.
Someone I know was coming back to the midwest from Niagara Falls and followed their GPS until they were accosted and taken in for questioning by Canadian officials-they had been led to leave the country. While it was the best route back a 'machine' didn't take everything else into consideration.
Sigh, do I really have to point out the obvious reason that your replies don't make any sense in this context? We aren't asking the GPS to find the route, we are using the GPS to keep us on a route that was obtained from a reliable source, like this web site. Come on, TG, I know you have always been anti-GPS, but this is kind of ridiculous.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

pmeadco wrote:Sigh, do I really have to point out the obvious reason that your replies don't make any sense in this context? We aren't asking the GPS to find the route, we are using the GPS to keep us on a route that was obtained from a reliable source, like this web site. Come on, TG, I know you have always been anti-GPS, but this is kind of ridiculous.
Sigh, do I really have to point out the obvious humor and relevance? Come on, pmeadco, you saying I'm anti-GPS when I own one is kind of ridiculous. :P

I *am* a proponent of minimizing reliance on battery-powered devices as well as developing one's map & compass skills. \:D/

From last summer:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."