Pit bull on Mt Massive

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Pit bull on Mt Massive

Post by DArcyS »

Derby Ale wrote:
DArcyS wrote: I suppose the extra-verbage in my post set the wrong tone, my apologies.
No, I think it was pretty much the meat and potatoes of your post that set the wrong tone.
Well, it is kind of tough telling a guy who for the most part only climbs class 2 peaks that his perspective on "danger" may not be accurate or relevant, so there's no way to sugar coat that. I suppose driving might be more dangerous than climbing Mt. Elbert. Happy?
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

lol, thread got off topic in just a few posts and now we are debating how dangerous driving is. Well done fellas
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Madison08 wrote:Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone has any information about the owners of a black pit bull that attacked me near the saddle of Mt Massive going down the standard route on on Saturday. I was walking past them and the dog jumped at me and bit into my upper thigh, going through my pants and puncturing my leg. The owners were two males. One of the owners was a very heavy set man. They had no leash, so one of them laid on the dog as he was growling after the attack. Unfortunately, they did not give me their contact information. If anyone has any information about them, even the vehicle type, color, etc. please PM me. I want to know if this dog is up to date on his vaccinations, etc. so I can move on.
I'm so sorry you were attacked like this, and I'm glad to hear you're doing well. But seriously, if I was attacked and bitten by a pit bull, there's no freaking way I'm walking away from that scene without calling authorities. Now these idiots are free to hike again with an unleashed vicious dog who may very likely attack another person sometime down the road, and maybe next time won't work out so well. I'm sure you were traumatized yourself and just trying to be a good neighbor, but sheesh that's a serious situation.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Oldskool70
14ers: 28  1  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Oldskool70 »

DArcyS wrote:
Derby Ale wrote:
DArcyS wrote: I suppose the extra-verbage in my post set the wrong tone, my apologies.
No, I think it was pretty much the meat and potatoes of your post that set the wrong tone.
Well, it is kind of tough telling a guy who for the most part only climbs class 2 peaks that his perspective on "danger" may not be accurate or relevant, so there's no way to sugar coat that. I suppose driving might be more dangerous than climbing Mt. Elbert. Happy?
Thank you for your enlightenment. I will use your sound judgement for future discussions. IE Although I've only reached the 50M level trail running, I will limit my posts on Ultra's. I've only sectioned hiked the Colorado trail, but will limit my input on THRU-hikes. I was in the NAVY... but was not a SEAL, so I will limit my discussions on the military. When I got bit by the dog(s) I did not need stitches or shots, so I will limit discussion on medical matters. And if see someone speak with more than 28 fourteeners, I will stand down & shush it. Sorry Bill M. I will do better monitoring myself for the good of the forum. :-"
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.
DArcyS
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Oldskool70 wrote:
DArcyS wrote:
Derby Ale wrote: No, I think it was pretty much the meat and potatoes of your post that set the wrong tone.
Thank you for your enlightenment. I will use your sound judgement for future discussions. IE Although I've only reached the 50M level trail running, I will limit my posts on Ultra's. I've only sectioned hiked the Colorado trail, but will limit my input on THRU-hikes. I was in the NAVY... but was not a SEAL, so I will limit my discussions on the military. When I got bit by the dog(s) I did not need stitches or shots, so I will limit discussion on medical matters. And if see someone speak with more than 28 fourteeners, I will stand down & shush it. Sorry Bill M. I will do better monitoring myself for the good of the forum. :-"
Yeah, the 'net is bad for communication. This communication would probably go off a lot better in person. Here's the bottom line: that oft repeated statement can lure people into a false sense of security on the harder peaks. That's not good.
cbmurtagh
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbmurtagh »

I never post on here, and I kind of thought the OP was discussing being attacked by a dog? Anyway, I just wanted to mention that for the last two years vehicle deaths have topped 40K in the US. That doesn't include people who were injured and lived. Seems to me like driving is a bit more dangerous, but maybe I should limit my input since I don't actually drive 24 hours a day.
DArcyS
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

cbmurtagh wrote:I never post on here, and I kind of thought the OP was discussing being attacked by a dog? Anyway, I just wanted to mention that for the last two years vehicle deaths have topped 40K in the US. That doesn't include people who were injured and lived. Seems to me like driving is a bit more dangerous, but maybe I should limit my input since I don't actually drive 24 hours a day.
True, but far less die on the trollway. :lol:
cbmurtagh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbmurtagh »

No, but I'm actually a real person...I just don't often post because it ends up being a bunch of people like you arguing, and I have a life.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

cbmurtagh wrote:No, but I'm actually a real person...I just don't often post because it ends up being a bunch of people like you arguing, and I have a life.
Oh BURN!! Watch out Darcy, this guy has a life. Don't mess with him or he'll make us feel real bad about ourselves.

Funny that one of the 4 posts you've ever made was to jump into an argument that would typically be reserved for people without lives.
cbmurtagh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbmurtagh »

Sorry, I will head back into the shadows now. At least until another topic like driving comes up, which I am extremely passionate about.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

cbmurtagh wrote:No, but I'm actually a real person
A troll IS a real person. What you're thinking of is called a bot.

#askaRussian
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

AlexeyD wrote:
cbmurtagh wrote:No, but I'm actually a real person
A troll IS a real person. What you're thinking of is called a bot.

#askaRussian
#askthePresident

Although it is unnecessary to capitalize the president part, anymore.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase