Maroon Bells Rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
nquesnel
14ers: 31  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon Bells Rescue

Post by nquesnel »

rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Maroon Bells Rescue

Post by rijaca »

Why were they in the Bell Cord couloir at 6 pm? :-s
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Knowing nothing of the situation in any detail (and thinking I should keep my big mouth shut), perhaps they were between the two summits and thought, "we're tired, let's just go down this" ala Capitol "shortcut"
christian349
14ers: 21 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by christian349 »

justiner wrote:Knowing nothing of the situation in any detail (and thinking I should keep my big mouth shut), perhaps they were between the two summits and thought, "we're tired, let's just go down this" ala Capitol "shortcut"
This would make sense, as it mentions in the article that they didn't know the terrain thus got stuck. Glad they are safe, but definitely questionable decision making so late in the day.
CHWitte
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

Glad they are safe but yet another Black Hawk helicopter rescue...
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

rijaca wrote:Why were they in the Bell Cord couloir at 6 pm? :-s
The Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office found out about the situation at 6 PM. It could have taken them quite a while to get the word.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

We were on Maroon Peak (only) yesterday and on our descent we saw 3 climbers who were a bit off-route while climbing Maroon Peak, near the “2 Gullies” section, so we helped them get back on track.

That was at 11:15 on our descent and I’m guessing it was them. Glad they are ok!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Non-life-threatening injuries, unable to go up or down; how did they get in this situation? And with 3 people, no one had the sense or knowledge to avoid this scenario? Basing off this preliminary info, I hope they at least pay financially for what sounds like irresponsible stupidity.

We're getting one of these threads every day, it seems like. Maybe if SAR started charging for non-life-threatening evacs, people would start taking a little more responsibility for their actions in the mountains.

Edit to clarify my negative remarks above are on the pretense that the article is true and mostly complete, and to state I would reconsider my reaction with more/different info.
Last edited by Eli Boardman on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

christian349 wrote: definitely questionable decision making so late in the day.
That's often exactly how that kind of decision making happens... so much easier to make mistakes when fatigue is part of the equation.

Very glad this situation had a good outcome.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

Seems like a propensity for some folks to disparage and criticize based on a few, likely incomplete, lines from a news item.

So is it possible that one of the party inadvertently fell onto the Bell Chord while crossing the ridge? Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

And if so, did his partners try to get to him to provide aide?

Were the non-life threatening injuries still bad enough to prevent the climber from self extracting? Or once on the Chord, if it was a fall, could they then not safely get off?

So without knowing actual details of the incident, why feel the need for uninformed commentary?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

viejo wrote:So without knowing actual details of the incident, why feel the need for uninformed commentary?
People always keep their quick draw pitchforks ready.

Sad, but true.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

viejo wrote:So without knowing actual details of the incident, why feel the need for uninformed commentary?
Because it's useful to talk about what will happen and what could be done differently in an attempt to share information on how we all can then avoid the same situation. We'll never have all the details and just like any emergency, we may have to act in the future with to perhaps save a life with incomplete information.

SAR missions like this are dangerous, and helicopter teams have lost their lives trying to save those in trouble. As a community, it's a good thing to try to mitigate the need of their assistance.

SO ANYWAYS, I think it's fine to ask how this could possibly happen, and you seem to have joined in that discussion:
viejo wrote:So is it possible that one of the party inadvertently fell onto the Bell Chord while crossing the ridge? Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

And if so, did his partners try to get to him to provide aide?

Were the non-life threatening injuries still bad enough to prevent the climber from self extracting? Or once on the Chord, if it was a fall, could they then not safely get off?
Yup, worth a discussion!