Which peak for first solo female climb.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cnlevan
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (7)

Which peak for first solo female climb.

Post by cnlevan »

Hey everyone!
I have limited options on people to hike 14ers with, and I am a do-it-yourself kind of girl, and thus have no one to hike these peaks with for the next few weeks. I do not mind hiking alone (I hike alone all the time in and around the Western Slope) but 14ers are a different game.

I am trying to decide between:
Greys/Torreys
Sherman
Bierstadt
Sunshine/Redcloud

Which one should I pick? I am looking for a peak with least injury potential, because I don't want to have to burden a stranger.
I have done Handies, Uncompahgre, Quandary and am doing Sneffles this week with a friend. Also, I am from Juncion, so the less distance from Junction the better.
Any suggestions?
Put yourself in the way of beauty. - Cheryl Strayed
Scott Conro
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 126
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which peak for first solo female climb.

Post by Scott Conro »

You won't be even close to alone on G&T, Sherman, and Bierstadt. Personally, I don't think any of these hikes warrant much more worry than any other mountain hike, given good wether. If you're driving all the way to the Front Range, I would suggest doing G&T one day and Bierstadt the other. If you have three days, do Sherman on the way back! While the crowds are a bit much in the Front Range sometimes, I still love those hikes.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Sherman is the Easiest one I've yet hiked of the 6 you listed. I've solo hiked all but 6 of my peaks, most of those I had partners on were easier ones. Don't over think it, just go for it. (With suitable gear and research ofc).
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

What kind of vehicle do you have? The road to the Bierstadt trail,is paved the whole way, while other three have adventurous high clearance driving, especial Grays and Redcloud.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Any of the peaks you posted are good choices for soloing. There will be far fewer people on Redcloud/Sunshine than on the others, so *if* you did have trouble there would be less people around. The other peaks will be very crowded and your solo will be far from lonely.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
cnlevan
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by cnlevan »

peter303 wrote:What kind of vehicle do you have? The road to the Bierstadt trail,is paved the whole way, while other three have adventurous high clearance driving, especial Grays and Redcloud.

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara, its a little 4 door suv with 4wd, so I can get it most places.
Put yourself in the way of beauty. - Cheryl Strayed
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

peter303 wrote:What kind of vehicle do you have? The road to the Bierstadt trail,is paved the whole way, while other three have adventurous high clearance driving, especial Grays and Redcloud.
I drove my honda civic to the TH for Redcloud/Sunshine with no scraping.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

Redcloud and Sunshine should be way closer to you being in Junction and will be far less crowded. I say go for those!
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

any of those should be fine,
my only thing would be to make sure of weather forecast for Sun/Red as long hike and make sure to stick to standard route. (red to sun then back over red)

when my hiking buddy and i did these we did the loop coming off of Sunshine north west face route and there is hairy steep loose stuff in the gullies plus no real trail between photo 7 on the route page and summit. it was definitely an adventure and an accident here might take a while to be found going solo unless others know of this as your route. standard north east ridge combo route is solid

edit to include San luis. from gunnison side easy stroll with well defined trail
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

I watched a video on redcloud & sunshine & those sound the coolest, so do those.

How's that for some logic lol

Just did Huron, my first 14er, on the standard route, solo, like to try Lulu gulch sometime. Pretty nice mountain.

I think I cold make it to the 4wd TH with clearance on 2wd. And one guy on here said he did. Depending on conditions.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

I'm from Junction also and would say drive time is about the same to all of those, even Redcloud and Sunshine. Sherman will probably take the longest to get to from GJ though. Any of them are good choices for a solo hike as well as many if not all in the collegiate range. Grey's and Torreys is going to be the shortest drive time of your options.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I would do Sunshine and Redcloud. The road is no problem at all btw.

Lots of good camping near the trailhead.