How hard is class 3

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ultimategully
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How hard is class 3

Post by ultimategully »

Eli Boardman wrote:How hard is class 3?

Do the Keyhole on Longs, then you will know.
Isn't this quote from Gerry Roach's book?

On topic, In my limited experience with class three (Longs, ellingwood ridge on La Plata, Navajo Peak) there isn't anything technically difficult about the moves required, even a casual gym climber would think Long's keyhole moves are a breeze, but the altitude and exposure make this hiking/climbing grade more difficult than a class two walk up. Lower grades also offer an easier and faster descent if weather moves in, so I would say gauging weather becomes much more important on a class three route.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

ultimategully wrote:
Eli Boardman wrote:How hard is class 3?

Do the Keyhole on Longs, then you will know.
Isn't this quote from Gerry Roach's book?
Yes. It's a good book, and I agree with Gerry that the Keyhole is a good benchmark of Class 3.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

No problem with Class 3

For me, Class 3 feels more like I’m climbing a mountain versus walking up a mountain
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

Class 3 is great. More vert faster. Get to use your hands on rock instead of on stupid poles. And finding holds is easy. If you find yourself on class 4 or 5 instead of class 3, you know it.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Jorts wrote:Class 3 is great. More vert faster. Get to use your hands on rock instead of on stupid poles. And finding holds is easy. If you find yourself on class 4 or 5 instead of class 3, you know it.
What are these "poles" of which you speak?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

Ptglhs wrote: What are these "poles" of which you speak?
Cheat sticks!
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring