Successful Rescue on Quandary

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by SkaredShtles »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:But there are people giving him s**t on IG for his cavalier attitude, so at least we're consistent.
People giving Honnold crap? That's rich... :mrgreen:
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

SkaredShtles wrote:
SchralpTheGnar wrote:But there are people giving him s**t on IG for his cavalier attitude, so at least we're consistent.
oh yeah-- its incredibly entertaining to read the ridiculous comments people make on news articles or facebook posts about alex being "careless" with his life, or how free soloing isn't a sport because there's too much risk. :shock: just stay seated on your couches, folks.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
ultimategully
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultimategully »

stephakett wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:
oh yeah-- its incredibly entertaining to read the ridiculous comments people make on news articles or facebook posts about alex being "careless" with his life, or how free soloing isn't a sport because there's too much risk. :shock: just stay seated on your couches, folks.
I find people who bash Honnold for soloing disingenuous. I'm guessing more people die while using pro than die soloing, and there are a ton of people who solo "on the side" like Honnold does. By the arm-chair warrior logic any climber roped or unroped is being "careless" with their life if the goal of life is to live as long as physically possible.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

stephakett wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:
Pro-tip: Never read the comments.

Don't ask me how I know this.

:mrgreen:
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I mean are you guys seriously surprised? This is Facebook after all...the land of he who knoweth leastest, sprayeth the mostest...

That said, I do kind of see the point about the publicity thing. I mean, personally, reading about a guy in a magazine who can free solo things that I can never dream of climbing with a toprope doesn't exactly fill me with the desire to march up to the Dawn Wall and give it a shot, but then again, never underestimate the power of stupid...
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Forgive my noobiness, but I don't get it. Did Honnold climb the face of Longs in the pic? And some members of the forum are critical of that feat? And this has what to do with Successful Rescue on Quandary? Again, I apologize for the confusion. I'm just new here. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
I should be on a mountain
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

CheapCigarMan wrote:Forgive my noobiness, but I don't get it. Did Honnold climb the face of Longs in the pic? And some members of the forum are critical of that feat? And this has what to do with Successful Rescue on Quandary? Again, I apologize for the confusion. I'm just new here. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
You’re clearly a newb around here if you expect to be still on topic after 4 or 5 posts, let alone 4 or 5 pages.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

CheapCigarMan wrote:Forgive my noobiness, but I don't get it. Did Honnold climb the face of Longs in the pic? And some members of the forum are critical of that feat? And this has what to do with Successful Rescue on Quandary? Again, I apologize for the confusion. I'm just new here. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Read the whole thred, n00B!!

:mrgreen:
B_2
14ers: 57  1  3 
13ers: 305 17 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B_2 »

Staying on topic is no fun. I love you guys.
Sleep?! Sleep when you're dead...
Update: I wrote that in 2008. Now I really love sleep - like, a lot.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Aaaaaaand a bunch of idiots turn the thread political :roll:

Let's keep that crap out of a 14ers mountain climbing forum. Go to reddit or 1000 other forums for it
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

highpilgrim wrote:
ezabielski wrote:Threads like this make me understand if Bill decides to just turn the forum off.
Maybe you should just refrain from reading what offends you so...
Wow. This thread is something to behold. From a Quandary rescue to Natives Rule to Hate Texans to Hate Trump to Hate Honnold and such. Just amazing.
Oh, and I do see ezabielski's point. Kill it if necessary, but it does have some entertaining value.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

painless4u2 wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
ezabielski wrote:Threads like this make me understand if Bill decides to just turn the forum off.
Maybe you should just refrain from reading what offends you so...
Wow. This thread is something to behold. From a Quandary rescue to Natives Rule to Hate Texans to Hate Trump to Hate Honnold and such. Just amazing.
Oh, and I do see ezabielski's point. Kill it if necessary, but it does have some entertaining value.
Trumps asshatness is worth stating in any forum.