Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Post by Phill the Thrill »

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... n-colorado

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Mr. Brewer.

Does anyone have any info about where the accident info, etc.?
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
earthtobean
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Post by earthtobean »

Another Texan getting a free ride in a chopper.... Hope he had a cosar card at least
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

What does a cosar card do?
robshock_12
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robshock_12 »

earthtobean wrote:Another Texan getting a free ride in a chopper.... Hope he had a cosar card at least
Seriously, a couple weeks ago I posted about my concerns with inexperienced/unprepared flat landers on these peaks. While some agreed with me, others saw it as me just complaining. These are not peaks you should be attempting on your summer vacation, while you are doing nothing to prepare for them the rest of the year. Let’s see how many Texans get sad about these comments...truth is there are way to many of them here, it’s pretty annoying. I’ve worked in the service industry in the mountains and most are rude and entitled.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:What does a cosar card do?
to my understanding, allows rescue organizations to access more funding. the price goes into a special pool for rescue groups to use. I need to reup my five-year card soon.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:What does a cosar card do?
See "what does it do?" - https://www.coloradosarboard.org/csrb-d ... tSheet.pdf
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

oh he knows what corsar does. cosar on the other hand... :-k
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

robshock_12 wrote:
earthtobean wrote:Another Texan getting a free ride in a chopper.... Hope he had a cosar card at least
Seriously, a couple weeks ago I posted about my concerns with inexperienced/unprepared flat landers on these peaks. While some agreed with me, others saw it as me just complaining. These are not peaks you should be attempting on your summer vacation, while you are doing nothing to prepare for them the rest of the year. Let’s see how many Texans get sad about these comments...truth is there are way to many of them here, it’s pretty annoying. I’ve worked in the service industry in the mountains and most are rude and entitled.
So... to what degree does it matter that he is from out of state?

While I agree that the volume of people on harder peaks is worrisome, somebody getting injured or needing rescue does not automatically mean they're inexperienced. That kind of logic would label Alan Arnette as "inexperienced unprepared." And snide remarks aren't going to reduce the number of people in the high peaks. But kind, patient, friendly outreach and stewardship can help them be safer.

And as for the dig toward Texans...I too have worked in the service industry in the mountains. I disagree on the rude point. Most people are pretty nice if you are nice to them (in the service industry, after all, that IS a lot of what you're getting paid to do). Moreover, Texans (used here to represent mountain tourists in general) largely sustain mountain town economies.
Last edited by AnnaG22 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Here we go. There is no mention of the climbers experience. It’s seems like it’s assumed that he’s just some out of stater who should not be on Maroon. He fell. It happens. Some dude from CO Springs fell on Shavano the other day and had to be assisted off the mountain. He was very experienced.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

robshock_12 wrote: a couple weeks ago I posted about my concerns with inexperienced/unprepared flat landers on these peaks. While some agreed with me, others saw it as me just complaining.
Blah, blah, blah, whine, blah.

Feet slip, rocks fall, snow slides. In no particular order. Gladbach said it better.

Leave your pitchfork at home. It could be you next.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

highpilgrim wrote:
robshock_12 wrote: a couple weeks ago I posted about my concerns with inexperienced/unprepared flat landers on these peaks. While some agreed with me, others saw it as me just complaining.
Blah, blah, blah, whine, blah.

Feet slip, rocks fall, snow slides. In no particular order. Gladbach said it better.

Leave your pitchfork at home. It could be you next.
Well said
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

LURE wrote:oh he knows what corsar does. cosar on the other hand... :-k
Oh, gotcha! I missed the misspelling in the first post... :oops:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick