Mount Elbert and Mount Massive - In good enough shape?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
the_last_third
Trip Reports (0)

Mount Elbert and Mount Massive - In good enough shape?

Post by the_last_third »

I live in Kansas and will be attempting both of these peaks in two weeks. Just want to get some feedback on whether I’m reasonably I shape to do both with one day rest between. I know it’s hard to judge from just what I’m writing but here’s it goes.

I’m 55 and point of reference I did Flattop in under 5 hours round trip. Lawn Lake and back I less than 6 hours. I bike 40-80 miles per week. Some running and some swimming and some yoga to mix things up. Don’t drink and don’t smoke. 6’3” 193.

I’ll have four full days to acclimatize before the first attempt on the 5th day.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mount Elbert and Mount Massive - In good enough shape?

Post by Eli Boardman »

I think you should be fine, especially if you start very early (think about starting a couple hours before sunrise on each peak). Bonus: if you start early enough, you might get to watch sunrise from above treeline. Then, you'll have the whole morning to finish hiking up (and down) before the storms roll in.
arianna2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

Having the time to acclimate is great as I would say that is the only thing that some would have trouble with. Stay really hydrated and start early...and oh yeah, don't forget to bring a few antidepressants to take after each false summit on Elbert #-o Have a great time.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Just take it slower at the start even if you feel strong, altitude has a funny way of sneaking up on you suddenly...

Good luck!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

What do you bench?
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:What do you bench?

Ha!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

With the activity you listed, I would think you'll do just fine. Massive, at least on the standard route is a long day, and Elbert is a bit of a slog too, so either one needs to have an early start. The earlier the start, the more opportunity you will have to take breaks or you can take an easier pace if need be.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
the_last_third
Trip Reports (0)

Post by the_last_third »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:What do you bench?
Not much. But good one.
the_last_third
Trip Reports (0)

Post by the_last_third »

huffy13 wrote:With the activity you listed, I would think you'll do just fine. Massive, at least on the standard route is a long day, and Elbert is a bit of a slog too, so either one needs to have an early start. The earlier the start, the more opportunity you will have to take breaks or you can take an easier pace if need be.
I drove to the trailhead yesterday just to make sure I know where I’ll be going in the dark and I’m glad i did since I missed the turn and ended up where all the road graters and dirt haulers are. I did do a quick hike today up to the closest peak just north of Independnce Pass. It’s basicslly a staircase. Felt good.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

If you bike that much regularly, you should know your cardio limits. It's funny but you can feel like you're hardly moving in the steeper terrain but your GPS track (later) shows a good steady rate of climb. Just relax, start early and keep moving. And don't forget to take lots of pictures!
Roll No Rocks
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

My boy did Elbert at age 8. The 14ers have been completed by a six year old. The peaks aren't that physically tough. Just take it slow if you ever get tired. Pole pole as they say on Kilimanjaro. Some people run on up those peaks while others require a few extra hours. Either way you get to the same place.

Stop by Mt. Sunflower on the way back to Kansas if you haven't already summited your state HP.
dtron
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dtron »

As someone who also lives in the flatlands (Missouri), I'm pretty confident you should be fine. Your fitness level should be more than enough and you're taking time to achieve a decent measure of acclimation. I typically make it out to the mountains a few times per year (hike, bike, ski, etc.) and on the first couple days I'm huffing and puffing up even a few flights of stairs. By the fourth or fifth day, while I'm not fully acclimated, I'm running up them just as I would back home.

You may even find that you're fine to hike them on back-to-back days. Just see how you feel, and as other have said, find a comfortable pace. And start early, of course.