4 Peaks in 3 days

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ssusarla
Trip Reports (0)

4 Peaks in 3 days

Post by ssusarla »

Greetings everyone,

I am a first timer attempting 4 peaks (Mount Massive, Harvard, Grays and Torreys peak) in 3 days 9/1 to 9/3. I have read several threads here - found great information. Prepped the best i could just wishing weather and body co-operates :). I am not an athlete just a average joe 140lbs 5'7 for a month been training on local hikes around San Antonio, TX area. I wish i had extra days to acclimatize with altitude. Any tips, current weather situation and good vibes always welcome.

cheers,
-S
Last edited by ssusarla on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 4 Peaks in 3 days

Post by rperth »

Woo hoo! Sounds like fun. Crush it!! You got it!! Enjoy colorado.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I would start with Gray's and Torrey's. Even though that is 2 mountains in one day, it is probably the easiest day of the three.
Start early in the morning and take it really easy the first day. Eat really well when you are done with each day in order to recharge for the next day.
Have a great time.
One more thing: on the standard route on Massive, when you come out of the trees after 5 miles of hiking, it looks like the summit is still 40 miles away. It IS still over a mile, but don't get disheartened; its not as far as it looks.

Sean Nunn
Raytown, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
ssusarla
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ssusarla »

You guys are awesome. Here is my story of why i am doing this http://susarla.com/?p=218 Hiking for Purpose
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

Start hydrating several days before your hikes.
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

ssusarla wrote:You guys are awesome. Here is my story of why i am doing this http://susarla.com/?p=218 Hiking for Purpose
Why did you pick those four peaks in particular?
ssusarla
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ssusarla »

chicagostylehotdog wrote:
ssusarla wrote:You guys are awesome. Here is my story of why i am doing this http://susarla.com/?p=218 Hiking for Purpose
Why did you pick those four peaks in particular?
One of my buddy in the hiking group did Elbert and Quandary. He picked these peaks no strong reason.
dtron
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dtron »

Obviously, hiking 14ers when you don’t live at elevation presents it’s own set of challenges. I live in Missouri and go out a few times per year to hike, bike and ski. Educate yourself on signs and symptoms of altitude illness and how to deal with it. The CDC has some great info and recommendations for us flatlanders.You mentioned not having time for an acclimation day. Even if you can sleep your first night at around 5000 ft before sleeping higher, it can make a difference in even the mild symptoms.

A buddy and I did 4 in 3 last year. As long as you’re in decent shape (able to run a 5K without collapsing at the finish) you should be just fine. Remember, a good part of it is mental, as you’ll be surprised you can’t push yourself to go faster than you are. By the time you’re heading home it’ll start feeling easier. :-D
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

I used to be a peak runner back in the day and my tips are:

Stay constantly hydrated, I sweat a ton so I'm abnormal in my water usage but a good bladder is a great tool. I prefer the MSR bladders as they are more rugged than the others.

Eat a fat/carb/protein loaded breakfast. My wife and I have fried potatoes with three eggs, cheese, and butter each.

Eat regularly while hiking. I hate gu and cliff bars and have taken to popping a honey stinger every hour when I'm out.

Sleep.

Go down if you get nauseous, headaches, or vertigo/lack of coordination. Google "AMS symptoms".
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Txhiker42 »

Fellow San Antonian here. Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned for a great cause. A couple of things I do to help with acclimatization (in addition to being well hydrated) are:

-I start taking 120mg of ginkgo biloba 2x a day two weeks before I head to altitude
-Starting the day before I leave and continuing through my trip, I take AltitudeRx, a supplement that can be ordered from Amazon

Both those things could just have a placebo effect, but before I started that regimen, I’d get a headache above 9000’ that would stay until I got back on the flight home.

Where are you training locally?
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Agree with previous post to start w Grays and Torreys first. Also, if your vehcile can't handle that road, then rethink the other two. Same for your legs. Grays and Torreys are the easiest of the days. If that is really hard, rethink some other peak options.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

All good advice from the others. If there's one thing I can add it's to slow down. It's surprising how much faster I go, overall, if I slow my moving pace down and keep going rather than stop every 100 steps. I know you aren't going for speed records but finding a sustainable pace and reducing your level of exertion will reduce/prevent the possible effects of altitude sickness as well.

Good luck with your hikes and fundraising efforts. Good cause!
Aim high to end high