Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

nsaladin wrote:
Conor wrote:Is there a thread where we trash talk Subaru Outback drivers with "Native" bumper stickers? Asking for a friend....
Wrong site: https://www.reddit.com/r/Denver/comment ... yesterday/
I was just about to post that link. :lol:
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

CHWitte wrote:Much of the Colorado Rockies and 14ers for that matter are not Colorado's mountains to begin with. They are National Forest and therefore they are "our" mountains as Americans. The whole "Colorado Native" argument and hating on Texans for using the mountains is just rubbish when you take this into consideration.
I think it can be summed up with correllation =/= causation.

Texan does not necessarily mean inexperienced (nor does Kansas, etc)

Coloradan =/= experienced.

Living in a mountain town =/= being a better skier.

14er finisher =/= "old pro"

And so on...
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
chubbles365
14ers: 20 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chubbles365 »

nsaladin wrote:
Conor wrote:Is there a thread where we trash talk Subaru Outback drivers with "Native" bumper stickers? Asking for a friend....
I really like the idea of getting a Native sticker to put next to my Iowa plates when I'm in Colorado.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I hope that Keith Brewer has a speedy recovery. Imaging the irony if he is a native from Colorado and just happens to currently live in Texas. :mrgreen:
Century Bound, eventually.
Arndorfer
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Arndorfer »

AnnaG22 wrote:
CHWitte wrote:Much of the Colorado Rockies and 14ers for that matter are not Colorado's mountains to begin with. They are National Forest and therefore they are "our" mountains as Americans. The whole "Colorado Native" argument and hating on Texans for using the mountains is just rubbish when you take this into consideration.
I think it can be summed up with correllation =/= causation.

Texan does not necessarily mean inexperienced (nor does Kansas, etc)

Coloradan =/= experienced.

Living in a mountain town =/= being a better skier.

14er finisher =/= "old pro"

And so on...
+1. Anna, your logic is refreshing compared to many of the other opinions in this thread.
Todd
"If you are not on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

chubbles365 wrote:
nsaladin wrote:
I really like the idea of getting a Native sticker to put next to my Iowa plates when I'm in Colorado.
As a native Iowan and a big big ten fan, I appreciated this bumper sticker I saw the other day.
state.JPG
state.JPG (355.04 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Every day I get the joy of logging on and seeing 20 more posts on this thread, none of which have do to with an injured hiker or Maroon Peak.
:-D

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

chubbles365 wrote:
nsaladin wrote:
If you're only going to be in the Front Rage and Slogwatch mountains, you'll be right at home with the Iowa plate. No need for a Native sticker. Trying to get to other ranges more often to avoid this type of gaper tomfoolery. :barf:

Anywhoo... what if you come from a state that is considered as mountainous or more rugged than CO? I know, I know, blasphemy. (Love it here BTW)

When, I first moved to CO in the early nineties, people would ask me where I was from because I had an accent. When I replied that I grew up in Montana, they would usually say, "oh, that's ok then."

What if said injured hiker was from Idaho, Alaska, Wyoming or anywhere else that has other badass mountains? Would it promote the same level of annoyance? I guess they got their own and don't need to show up here to more crowds right? Personally, I agree with High Pilgrim's quote/post. A persons a person, no matter how small.

I also liked the Reddit post that said, "Transplant=Coloradan by choice."
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

crowdsurf wrote: ...If you're only going to be in the Front Rage and Slogwatch mountains, you'll be right at home with the Iowa plate. No need for a Native sticker. Trying to get to other ranges more often to avoid this type of gaper tomfoolery. :barf:

Anywhoo... what if you come from a state that is considered as mountainous or more rugged than CO? I know, I know, blasphemy. (Love it here BTW)

I also liked the Reddit post that said, "Transplant=Coloradan by choice."
They're only slogs if you're not running :wink: :lol:

Also, I like your other points. Apparently Iowa has a really good writing school, so that's something, eh? :-"
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

crowdsurf wrote:gaper tomfoolery. :barf:
+1
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

[Also, I like your other points. Apparently Iowa has a really good writing school, so that's something, eh? :-"]

Yes. Thank you. I now have a reason to visit Iowa. Errr...nevermind. That's probably why Conor is a Michigan State fan. :-"
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Wow. There's life in the forum. This has been more entertaining than most threads in the last year or so, and certainly on topic.
I lived five years in Texas and now almost a decade in Colorado. Native to either, I am not.
Here are some bumper sticker themes common to proud Whatever-ans. The first one is my favorite now.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.40.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.40.47 PM.png (79.58 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.40.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.40.18 PM.png (217.95 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.41.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.41.19 PM.png (99.62 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List