Missing Climber on Longs Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Shaller13
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Climber on Longs Peak

Post by Shaller13 »

In all seriousness yes I hope the person is found. Please disregard my last replay as an "attack" if one views it that way..
"He who says he can and he who says he can't. Are both usually right.'
"The key is to not go up the keyhole route."
GO BIG RED
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

SHeller, myself and a few friends summitted Longs on Sunday morning. We went up the Loft and came down the Keyhole route around the same time he was reportedly hiking up. We talked to a number of people along the way but I don't recall seeing this guy. We did spend 30 minutes packing up our camp at the Battle Mountain campsite, so he could have slipped by without us seeing him.

If it is helpful, here is our GPS track from Sunday. We started at 4:45am at the Battle Mountain Campground in the morning. On the way down, we hiked from the Loft / Keyhole Junction (bathrooms) to the trailhead between 2:30pm to 4:30pm with a 30 minute break off the trail at the Battle Mountain campsite.
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move238609868

I hope he's found safely (again).
CosmikUtensil
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CosmikUtensil »

It was Monday at about 950am when we saw him. The homestretch was sporty, and he had mentioned being on the mountain 6ish times before, so I’m wondering which way he chose to get down. Not that many options.

MonGoose wrote:SHeller, myself and a few friends summitted Longs on Sunday morning. We went up the Loft and came down the Keyhole route around the same time he was reportedly hiking up. We talked to a number of people along the way but I don't recall seeing this guy. We did spend 30 minutes packing up our camp at the Battle Mountain campsite, so he could have slipped by without us seeing him.

If it is helpful, here is our GPS track from Sunday. We started at 4:45am at the Battle Mountain Campground in the morning. On the way down, we hiked from the Loft / Keyhole Junction (bathrooms) to the trailhead between 2:30pm to 4:30pm with a 30 minute break off the trail at the Battle Mountain campsite.
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move238609868

I hope he's found safely (again).
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

So he started up Sunday afternoon.... camped? And was seen at the bottom of the homestretch on Monday at 950 AM? Going up or down?

I wonder if he camped at the Boulderfield...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
CosmikUtensil
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CosmikUtensil »

He was going up, we were going down. Earlier in the hut he said he camped at the boulder field.
djkest wrote:So he started up Sunday afternoon.... camped? And was seen at the bottom of the homestretch on Monday at 950 AM? Going up or down?

I wonder if he camped at the Boulderfield...
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

stoopdude wrote:Sandals?

I ran into a guy on North Maroon a few weeks ago who was wearing sandals. It was his first 14er. Looked like a good way to lose a toe.

Hoping for the best outcome here.
Not sure North Maroon is the best choice for a first 14er, unless your last name is Honnold.

Hoping for a safe outcome on Long's.

Sean Nunn
Raytown, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

does mojah associate with any of us plebs anymore? I think his first 14ers were the Bells via the traverse.

edit: that point aside, I really hope that there is a good outcome for the gentleman on Longs.
Last edited by AnnaG22 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Longs Peak was my first 14er. I climbed it at 270 lbs in 2009. In hindsight I wasn't as prepared as I should have been, but probably as prepared as most people are on their "first 14er". (I also hadn't done a 13er either)

I hope this man is found safe and sound ...and soon! It was pretty cold yesterday.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

If anyone needs help searching for the dude, ring me up.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

djkest wrote:Longs Peak was my first 14er. I climbed it at 270 lbs in 2009. In hindsight I wasn't as prepared as I should have been, but probably as prepared as most people are on their "first 14er". (I also hadn't done a 13er either)

I hope this man is found safe and sound ...and soon! It was pretty cold yesterday.
+1, except for the 270 pounds part (well OK, and the year). How did you do that? No offense but it took all that I had at 160 pounds (and very fit to boot). I don't think I could have hauled 10 more pounds up that mountain, much less 110 pounds.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Prayers to him and his family for a safe return...
Ted from TEXAS!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I'm not sure discussion about anyone's first 14er and/or how much they weighed for that hike belongs in a thread about a missing hiker. I hope the hiker in question is found safe and just got a little off track.