3,000 foot rule question?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scrambling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

3,000 foot rule question?

Post by scrambling »

I walked from the Baldwin Gulch trailhead to the summit of Mt. Antero, an elevation gain of 4,928 feet (according to my Garmin device). On the way back down the road, at approximately elevation 12,500 a guy on an ATV offered me a ride. I accepted and rode the ATV all the way back to car. Did I meet the 3,000 foot rule? Can I count Antero?
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 3,000 foot rule question?

Post by litote312 »

Yeah you can, it's your hike.
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

The climber/hiker must reach a point on the way up and down that is at least 3000 feet below the summit under there own power to follow this rule.

Here are just a few examples that are sure to rub people the wrong way and get them off to a bad weekend.

*If you hiked Bierstadt from Guanella Pass - Doesn't count

*If you paid $150 to hike Culebra and started from the upper TH - Doesn't count
4/way - Still Doesn't count

*San Luis from willow creek - Doesn't Count

*Handies from American Basin - Doesn't Count

*Evans from Summit Lake - Doesn't count
Guanella pass - still doesn't count

*Grays and Torreys from upper TH - Questionable

*Delcabrion from upper TH - Doesn't count

*Sherman from upper TH - Doesn't count
Leavick site - Still Doesn't count

*Sneffels from upper TH - Doesn't count
from the outhouse - Still doesn't count

Have a great weekend everyone!
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

litote312 wrote:Yeah you can, it's your hike.

This is the correct answer. It’s your challenge, your hike, your mind. You’re the only one who truly will care. If you can live with it, it counts.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

This whole 3000' thing is boring.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

The 3000 ft. rule works well for those who are competing for fastest known times since they can compare apples to apples. For the rest of us mere mortals, it is silly. Note that the peaks that we are least likely to get 3K on are all easy anyway. Should I have to start miles down the road from Kite Lake to have Democrat count? If someone wants to impose the rule on themselves, fine. Otherwise if you've climbed by any established route, it counts. End of story.

Dave
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Madness. Climb them from the established trail heads and if you do more than a handful the average will be way more than 3,000'. Or just climb Bierstadt from Georgetown and Sneffels from Ouray to meet a random criteria.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

illusion7il wrote:The climber/hiker must reach a point on the way up and down that is at least 3000 feet below the summit under there own power to follow this rule.

Here are just a few examples that are sure to rub people the wrong way and get them off to a bad weekend.

[snip]

Uncompahgre from the upper Nellie Creek TH wouldn't count either, even if you combined it with Wetterhorn
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

TravelingMatt wrote:
illusion7il wrote:The climber/hiker must reach a point on the way up and down that is at least 3000 feet below the summit under there own power to follow this rule.

[snip]

Uncompahgre from the upper Nellie Creek TH wouldn't count either, even if you combined it with Wetterhorn

Also started lower down on this one to get the 3000 feet plus. And started lower down on Wetterhorn.
Like I said though, it's all made up, just like climbing a 14,001 foot peak versus a 13,988 foot peak. I think it's nice to get the 3000 feet if you can. If you can't, no biggie.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

scrambling wrote:I walked from the Baldwin Gulch trailhead to the summit of Mt. Antero, an elevation gain of 4,928 feet (according to my Garmin device). On the way back down the road, at approximately elevation 12,500 a guy on an ATV offered me a ride. I accepted and rode the ATV all the way back to car. Did I meet the 3,000 foot rule? Can I count Antero?
So to answer your questions:

No, you didn't meet the 3,000' rule (doesn't take anything away from the accomplishment in any way). Only time I really care about it is when I jokingly remind my hiking partner that he still has like 10 more to hike with the 3,000' rule even though he's a 14er finisher :lol:
yes, of course you can count it. Good luck hiking the rest!
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

The state highpoint in Nebraska only rises 20ft from its surrounding areas. Are you going to climb it 150 times in order to count it? The 3000ft rule is for FKTs. I would argue that in order to count it, you should get from car to car by human power (bike, skis, foot, even parachute). But again, it’s all just a personal list for personal goals unless you are going for records.
Burkart
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Burkart »

aholle88 wrote:The state highpoint in Nebraska only rises 20ft from its surrounding areas. Are you going to climb it 150 times in order to count it? The 3000ft rule is for FKTs. I would argue that in order to count it, you should get from car to car by human power (bike, skis, foot, even parachute). But again, it’s all just a personal list for personal goals unless you are going for records.
Not at all, all you have to do is hike a couple hundred miles from Kearney to count it for the 3000 ft rule! :lol:

Oh, and of course, no ATV rides for the return 200+ miles.