intermediate climber looking for mentor

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sandersjoshyay
Trip Reports (0)

intermediate climber looking for mentor

Post by sandersjoshyay »

I just moved back to Colorado and have gotten back into climbing, I've had summits in the Alps, the Cascades, Apps and all of the Front range minus Longs and Decalibron. Unfortunately, my winter climbing experience is limited, however; I have received formal training on Mt Baker. I'm currently hoping to find an experienced climber who would be willing to help me tune up my winter skills, I would ideally like to climb every other weekend so long as the weather is favourable. If you are experienced; know someone who is, or have advice please feel free to contact me.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: intermediate climber looking for mentor

Post by bmcqueen »

You should come to the Winter Welcomer 11/3 (https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 95#p675195). Great way to meet folks and get some cold weather experience.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

I'm also looking for someone or others in which I can learn from.

- Gear I should get
- Climbing partner / mentor
I should be on a mountain
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Throwing it out there that I'm in the same boat. Looking to step up the game a little bit (though this is my last winter in CO before moving to the cascades) whether that means a mentor or a buddy at about the same level as me to learn beside. Comfortable on class 4 in summer but I am horrified by avalanche terrain and have no technical experience on snow/ice other than basic self-arrest and the things that sometimes come up in spring/summer. Social worker salary makes it tough to throw down huge amounts for classes, but I am going to try to get some formal training this winter/spring.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Definitely come to the Winter Welcomer and get to know some folks, plus grab some experience!

I'll try to do a FAQ like we have in previous years to help ensure folks are prepared in the next couple days.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach