When does winter start?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: When does winter start?

Post by Steve Climber »

Remember that one time when it was totally irrelevant and nobody cared?

That was a good time.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

JQDivide wrote:
SnowAlien wrote:
Conor wrote:What do you guys mean by winter trailhead? Does that mean if you drove to huron's summer trailhead last december 23rd, you view that as not a "true snowflake?"
It changes year to year, but generally it tends to be more accessible earlier in the season. During some winters (like last "winter"), summer THs remained accessible. But we also got lucky and were able to drive to Winfield in January '13, it's more of a function of how many trucks were on that road and the snowfall pattern. I also made to Missouri gulch TH in a Subi first week of March'16 or '17 (Winfield was off limits by then :-D ). Maroon Creek road & Castle Creek road are gated, and snowmobiling is not allowed for approaches.
I was able to drive to the Missouri Gulch TH one year, and counted my Belford ascent.
Was able to drive to Winfield, and counted my Huron ascent.
I believe the "spirit" of the snowflake is to drive to the TH in a 'normal' car/truck, drive as far as you can.
I also believe the "spirit" of the snowflake is based on "normal" winter weather. Yes, there are some years with less snow, some with more.

And anyone who is out in CO weather knows that some of the heaviest snowfall can be in the spring, which proves a great point about "conditions" over "calendar."
And I guess some international folks categorize winter as something other than "calendar" winter, it ends sooner.
But the standard for this site and most 14er folks is calendar winter, whatever the conditions are.

The 3,000 foot isn't normally a factor, if you have to walk the roads from the winter TH. Driving up Pikes partway for a Winter summit, goes against the "spirit" of the snowflake.

JQ
Your quote of ryguy seems to imply that "snowflake" ascents should start from the winter TH. I would also argue there is some ambiguity since he most likely wasn't thinking of this point. I do find it interesting that the "rules" seems to allow motorized travel beyond the normal winter closures in dry times, but snow mobiles aren't allowed? Seems like a similar "effort" would have to be expended....

Kind of like skiing them, conditions aren't "in" some times. Seems the opposite for winter ascents, people go grab them when conditions are "out." Just my opinion, and how I count my simple "snowflakes."
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Steve Climber wrote:Remember that one time when it was totally irrelevant and nobody cared?

That was a good time.
I 'member.

This only comes into play if you are claiming to be a winter finisher, and if you are one of those select few, you likely know the other finishers and follow 'the rules' out of respect.

For anyone else, just do whatever feels right. The average person won't know the difference if you started too early or ended too late or if you climb a 14er in August and its snowing and you call it winter.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Steve Climber wrote:Remember that one time when it was totally irrelevant and nobody cared?

That was a good time.
Pepperidge farms does.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I Man wrote: This only comes into play if you are claiming to be a winter finisher, and if you are one of those select few, you likely know the other finishers and follow 'the rules' out of respect.

For anyone else, just do whatever feels right. The average person won't know the difference if you started too early or ended too late or if you climb a 14er in August and its snowing and you call it winter.
This is the best point made yet...
Most people just don't care. But a few do and they try to follow the norms.
If you're not looking to be a finisher, don't worry about it. Go hike and have fun.
But if you want to be listed among the finishers, follow the norms.

JQ
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

About 15 minutes ago. Happy winter solstice, everyone!
ORION
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ORION »

HikerGuy wrote:About 15 minutes ago. Happy winter solstice, everyone!
Back at you :-D