Microspikes Alternatives

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Microspikes Alternatives

Post by justiner »

I've had mixed results with screw shoes. I think on fairly packed down snowy trails they're great; anything a little more mixed and you'll be replacing the screws on the reg. I've been meaning to experiment using something like aquaseal to cover the threads of the screw, then screw them into the sole, but eh.

The heart of the problem is using metal bits on the bottom of shoes when it's just bare rock. I don't know if there's a workaround, but usually the rocks win.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

MUni Rider wrote: Best course of action at this point is to contact the manufacturer and get the free new pair.
No, the best course of action at this point is to buy another pair of microspikes and this time use them as directed.
RWSchaffer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWSchaffer »

polar wrote:Korean clone on Sierra Trading Post, maybe more reliable than Chinese clone on Amazon? I just picked up a pair, will see for myself.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/produ ... 320MP-02-L

Edited to add: apparently REI also carry them, and CAMP is one of their global partners. Seems pretty legit.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... insen-claw
I use Kahtoola Microspikes size L for three season hiking boots and Snowline Chainsen Pro size 2XL for ultra-bulky winter boots because the largest Kahtoola isn't big enough. Chainsen Pro is a different model from the Korean company referenced above. The two products are equally effective, I haven't had problems with the elastic on either, and they seem to be wearing at about the same rate. At full price, the Snowline Chainsen products aren't much cheaper than Kahtoola, but they seem to go on closeout sale with some frequency; at $25 from Sierra Trading Post, my 2XL pair has proved to be an absolute steal for the use provided so far.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

RWSchaffer wrote: I use Kahtoola Microspikes size L for three season hiking boots and Snowline Chainsen Pro size 2XL for ultra-bulky winter boots because the largest Kahtoola isn't big enough. Chainsen Pro is a different model from the Korean company referenced above. The two products are equally effective, I haven't had problems with the elastic on either, and they seem to be wearing at about the same rate. At full price, the Snowline Chainsen products aren't much cheaper than Kahtoola, but they seem to go on closeout sale with some frequency; at $25 from Sierra Trading Post, my 2XL pair has proved to be an absolute steal for the use provided so far.
Thanks for the field report, it's good to know that they hold up pretty well. STP has a few different models from the same company on sale, but not the Chainsen Pro. However, looks like REI has the Chainsen Pro on sale for $25. I agree, if they're comparable to Kahtoola, they're definitely a steal at this price.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

RWSchaffer wrote:I use Kahtoola Microspikes size L for three season hiking boots and Snowline Chainsen Pro size 2XL for ultra-bulky winter boots because the largest Kahtoola isn't big enough. Chainsen Pro is a different model from the Korean company referenced above. The two products are equally effective, I haven't had problems with the elastic on either, and they seem to be wearing at about the same rate. At full price, the Snowline Chainsen products aren't much cheaper than Kahtoola, but they seem to go on closeout sale with some frequency; at $25 from Sierra Trading Post, my 2XL pair has proved to be an absolute steal for the use provided so far.
Thank you. This was the kind of information I was looking for. I think I will pass on those Boa system ones. Cool idea in regards to optimal fit, but I'm sure I would bust that crank off on day 1.
druid2112 wrote:Straight up user error. Don't blame the microspikes, you won't find a better alternative anyway.
I fully admitted to user error in the 3rd post of this thread. Just wondering what else is out there but It sounds like you have all of the information I am looking for! Would you mind posting a brief review of all of the other micro spikes you have tried? There are at least 10 companies that make a similar product. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

brichardsson wrote:why would you tell someone to try to get a free repair when they broke it by not using it as directed? this is exactly why rei has changed their longstanding return any item ever policy, because of abuse like this.
Not looking to get anything for free or abuse a company warranty. Now that there are a bunch more companies that make a very similar product just trying to see what others have tried.
RichH
14ers: 43 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

Microspikes (and Nanospikes) are really-well designed and Kahtoola stands by them. I know others have suggested the same, but I would call them and see what they can do. I run with people who have had their Microspikes replaced out of warranty when they destroyed them.
Rich
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

illusion7il wrote:Not looking to get anything for free or abuse a company warranty
to be clear, rather than lying or being unreasonable i think the suggestion from many is to just call them up and tell them exactly what happened. if you don't demand anything i'll bet they'd still hook you up. the worst they can do is not hook you up (:
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I just got the Snowline Chainsen Claw that I ordered from STP. Initial impression: material and workmanship looks and feels very similar to Kahtoola, doesn't feel like an inferior product at all. Some of the parts even look almost identical to my old Kahtoola (pictured below). I ordered size L based on their sizing chart, and the fit is comparable to my size M Kahtoola. The size M Kahtoola may even be slightly bigger than the size L Chainsen Claw based on how high the harness of the Kahtoola goes on my hiking shoes. For reference, my hiking shoes are men's 8.5.

One interesting design on the Chainsen Claw is that they have three extra points that go up the toe of the shoes. I feel like they would be fairly uesless, it's not like I can front point my way up pure ice with these things. However, I have climbed some fairly steep stuff by microspikes' standards, so maybe these front points can offer more traction on steep snow? Only time will tell.
Sketch2.png
Sketch2.png (393.1 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
Sketch3.png
Sketch3.png (477.91 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
Sketch1.png
Sketch1.png (571.67 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I have put in many miles (testing and reviewing) on the new Kahtoola EXOspikes since last January and are a great option to add to the Winter traction quiver. With 12 tungsten carbide studs, these are my #1 pick when the trails are packed, icy and or mixed conditions, alternating between bare ground/rock/snow/ice like I often encounter in the foothills above Boulder. I have really beat on them and aside from some expected scuffing, I have found them to be exceptionally durable and the studs stay very sharp.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've used the Kahtoola original microspikes and have been pretty good on shallow angle packed snow or shallow ice:
https://www.rei.com/product/890608/kaht ... ion-system

I never had an issue with them, but also only put them on where I think I'll need them to save the points and use a normal crampon in when I need to ensure a deeper bite.

I can say from experience, that the original Yak Trax weren't too helpful for me on anything except maybe an icy sidewalk:
https://www.rei.com/product/760280/yakt ... ion-system

The version below was actually much better, although for some reason the rubber smelled like gasoline:
https://www.rei.com/product/806475/yakt ... ion-system

The Icetrekker is similar and I walked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back with these in winter one year on all those icy steps and was just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3T8Z6O/?t ... AAAAAAAJIa

There are some newer versions of ice cleats that seem interesting.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

I can second Jeff's opinion of the Kahtoola EXOspikes. I used them in fresh snow about a week ago (https://old.reddit.com/r/coloradohikers ... ood_today/) and they were better than not having them, but where they really work is on compacted snow/ice. They have better traction on rock than microspikes as well. They are significantly lighter and less noticeable on your feet when running.

Black Diamond recently introduced a few models. Specs look quite light and I like the heel strap for pulling them on/off, seems like a nice additional feature even if not purely necessary. Haven't seen any real world experiences though.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/e ... on-devices
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I was curious about those EXOspikes. Although for running I’ve always just used screw in carbide spikes when it’s snowy.

https://www.icespike.com/store/index.html