14ers.com Username Inspiration/Reason/Whatever

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

14ers.com Username Inspiration/Reason/Whatever

Post by greenonion »

Hoping this hasn't been posted here prior, and you can probably see the level of my cabin fever at about this point in time... What is the inspiration/reason behind your 14ers.com USERNAME? I'll start with a rousing presentation of riveting reasoning for mine: I simply love greenonions on lots of kinds of food, especially outside camping while putting them on, say, scrambled eggs. For some reason that first came to mind when I joined this esteemed group several years ago.

Scott P and Tom Pierce's stories are probably more interesting than mine, and they too are allowed to play. :-D Gotta good story, folks?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: 14ers.com Username Inspiration/Reason/Whatever

Post by Cruiser »

When I first moved to Colorado almost 20y ago I bought a 1983 fj60 land cruiser. I loved that old clunker right up until I rolled it 2.5 times sideways off a highway embankment in the snow. Visited lots of trailheads in it. Still miss the brown beast...
Where ever you are... There you are.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Mine is boring. I'm a guy and I hike. I joined the site back in 2006 when the idea of anonymity was still faintly alive. I should change it to TroyBurke, but I don't want to bug Bill.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Can I play?
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Baden-Baden contains an old growth forest and ancient mountain range known as the Odenwald. In Old High German this was a mystical location thought to be a realm where the gods dwelled - literally Odin’s Woods. This area became a melting pot of civilizations with Romans and Alemani tribes vying for control of the east and west shores of the Rhine and along the principal flows of the Neckar and Main for long stretches of time in the Republic era. The area experienced comfortable living conditions and decent stability under the rulers of the HRE from Charles the Great. The folks that came out of Odenwald turned out to be fairly industrious and hard-working and in the following centuries consolidated power into minor kingdoms, eventually uniting into a single nation state in the later portion of the 19th century. This diaspora made its way through varying colonies around the globe under the guise of a world-spanning empire, while some sought their fortunes throughout the Western Hemisphere, establishing German-language neighborhoods in far flung places like Southern Africa, Brazil, Argentina, and Pittsburgh. Fast forward another century, and there you have it. Matt Spaeth served two stints with the Steelers, helping to propel them into the Super Bowl and the history books as the winningest team without the distraction of a deflated football as an asterisk in the history books. Bill Cowher’s chin was a witness. Ketchup was had by everyone. Yeungling made an appearance, too. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Back in the dark days of the 1970s my parents had a second child. Star Wars had come out recently and people perhaps were listening to disco. I was given a simple first name in order to never be saddled with a nickname. Or so went my mother's logic. According to wikipedia:

The name is derived from the Latin Ioannes and Iohannes, which are forms of the Greek name Iōannēs (Ἰωάννης), originally borne by Hellenized Jews transliterating the Hebrew name Yohanan (יוֹחָנָן), "Graced by Yah", or Yehohanan (יְהוֹחָנָן), "Yahweh is Gracious".

I also received my father's last name of distinctly German origin although it was somewhat simplified. Probably by immigration authorities who thought umlauts were weird.

Far back in 2005 I signed up for this website with my given names. And the rest was history.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I started climbing back in 1975 at Devils Lake in Wisconsin. Back in the day of hexes and super wide webbing and bad climbing shoes. No cams, no gyms, no sport climbing. I learned and did things back then that I still do today. In other ways in my life I'm also oldschool...
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

My username actually has to do with my name. It’s not some troll name. I’m not luring anyone into any traps. But I’m still a fan anonymity.

TallGrass once told me I had one of the trolliest names on here - that was when I actually met the guy. I can see it, I don’t disagree, but its just a coincidence.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

I am a Sultan of Oil.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

My nickname ever since high school has been RyGuy, so it was only logical to have it be my forum name as well.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

My last name is Angry. I’m a former military officer, and we call each other by last name. I’ve been known as Angry my entire adult life.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

greenonion wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:15 amScott P and Tom Pierce's stories are probably more interesting than mine, and they too are allowed to play.
Ha, ha...sorry, no interesting story to share. I've just never understood the whole internet anonymity thing, frankly not a fan of it. I use my real name on all the sites on which I post (which are very few, fwiw). Never had a problem doing so, just me.

-Tom