Keeping dog food dry

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Keeping dog food dry

Post by jsf80238 »

I'll be asking my pooch to carry her food in her pack (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1577/ ... 1500391971).
She does not enjoy water particularly and will cross streams at the shallowest point she can find, but the bottom of the pack definitely gets wet. A ziploc bag by itself I don't think will be sufficient.

I have used Opsaks (https://www.ursack.com/product/opsak-od ... ag-2-pack/) and they work well at first, but the dog food tends to gather in the closure and then the sack no longer seals well.

I am considering placing the food in a ziploc bag and then the ziploc inside a dry bag (such as https://www.rei.com/product/794756/sea- ... g-5-liters). For an 8-day trip and 3 cups of food per day I calculated I need two 3-liter bags (one for each side of the pack). Thoughts?
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Keeping dog food dry

Post by Bill G »

Long, long time ago I learned the trick. Still have the original box. Get trash compactor bags. I measure out whatever food we need for the trip and divide into 2 1-gallon zip-locks. Then put the zip-locks into the trash compactor bags and roll them up. Place in my dogs pack.

Swimming, rain, creek crossings, never wet. I reused the same compactor bags for at least 15 years. Just dry them in the sun after each trip and put away with the rest of my gear. Regular leaf bags or trash bags won't work.

Put this under tribal knowledge.
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

Bill G wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:29 pm Get trash compactor bags. I measure out whatever food we need for the trip and divide into 2 1-gallon zip-locks. Then put the zip-locks into the trash compactor bags and roll them up. Place in my dogs pack.

Swimming, rain, creek crossings, never wet. I reused the same compactor bags for at least 15 years. Just dry them in the sun after each trip and put away with the rest of my gear. Regular leaf bags or trash bags won't work.
The internet seems to agree with you. I'll try it.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Trash compactor bag is a good idea.

I usually end up just carrying our dog's food and then storing other items in her pack. It's actually pretty nice to not have to dig through (or even take off) a backpack for snacks, rain jackets, water filter etc.
Make wilderness less accessible.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Is your dog built to carry this much weight for 8 days of backpacking? I understand she will eat the food so over time it will get lighter and lighter, but still, not all dogs are built for hauling.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 am Is your dog built to carry this much weight for 8 days of backpacking? I understand she will eat the food so over time it will get lighter and lighter, but still, not all dogs are built for hauling.
i am not the OP, but 5 days of food for my 60# dog on the CT weighs 3-1/4 pounds.

generally speaking from my experience over the last several years of (nearly) exclusively hiking with my dog (who carries a pack about 85-90% of the time) dog packs seem to be sized to accommodate for their maximum load by design. the guideline for human, canine, equine, etc. is to carry/haul no more than 25% of bodyweight over long distances, so even when i think about my dog carrying 3L of water in each saddlebag of the biggest pack he has, that's probably the upper limit of his comfort as well as the the pack capacity... and water definitely weighs much more than all the rest of the lightweight, bulky items he's typically responsible for: Backup Water Filter, Emergency Blanket, Emergency Poncho, Dog First Aid, Dry Food & Power Bars, Food Bowl, Water Bowl, Raincoat, Potty Bags (both empty and full) and his Rescue Harness. all-in, he averages about 5-6 pounds per hike, with 8 being more likely for a backpacking trip, and yes the pack definitely gets lighter as the day(s) pass, but still doesn't hit 25%
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

stephakett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:15 pm
ker0uac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 am Is your dog built to carry this much weight for 8 days of backpacking? I understand she will eat the food so over time it will get lighter and lighter, but still, not all dogs are built for hauling.
i am not the OP, but 5 days of food for my 60# dog on the CT weighs 3-1/4 pounds.

generally speaking from my experience over the last several years of (nearly) exclusively hiking with my dog (who carries a pack about 85-90% of the time) dog packs seem to be sized to accommodate for their maximum load by design. the guideline for human, canine, equine, etc. is to carry/haul no more than 25% of bodyweight over long distances, so even when i think about my dog carrying 3L of water in each saddlebag of the biggest pack he has, that's probably the upper limit of his comfort as well as the the pack capacity... and water definitely weighs much more than all the rest of the lightweight, bulky items he's typically responsible for: Backup Water Filter, Emergency Blanket, Emergency Poncho, Dog First Aid, Dry Food & Power Bars, Food Bowl, Water Bowl, Raincoat, Potty Bags (both empty and full) and his Rescue Harness. all-in, he averages about 5-6 pounds per hike, with 8 being more likely for a backpacking trip, and yes the pack definitely gets lighter as the day(s) pass, but still doesn't hit 25%
Yea but you know that not all 60lbs dogs are equally apt to carry heavy loads even if they are below the 25% guideline.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
dcruz654
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 94 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dcruz654 »

If you haven't already gotten the Approach, check out RW's Palisade pack instead. It has more volume and detachable bags that would allow you to quickly remove them off the harness to sling over your shoulder for water crossings. Although rereading your post it sounds like you may already have the approach pack. A single ziplock won't cut it. Doubling up in a second ziplock or better bag (ie dry bag etc) would most likely be fine. Or for deeper crossings just remove the entire harness/bag and put it over your shoulders.
As far as how much your dog can carry, if they are new to carrying weight PLEASE do not put 25% of your dogs weight in his bags. Work up carrying more weight the same way you might do the same for yourself. Even then 25% is excessive, I max my 80lb Malamute out around 10-12lbs for long trips, and that's really just that heavy for the first day or two. I would consider placing his lighter stuff in the dog's pack (leash, boots, jacket, sleeping? etc) and carrying his food yourself.
Experience: I through hiked the entire CT with my dog and I literally sell dog products 9-5
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:37 pm
stephakett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Yea but you know that not all 60lbs dogs are equally apt to carry heavy loads even if they are below the 25% guideline.
totally agree- perhaps i rambled too much at the end there...

TLDR: a full pack and lots of food likely won't weigh 25% of a dog's weight unless it's a full pack of water.

also super agree with dcruz- i love the palisade, and also only ask my dog to carry one day of food at a time while i deal with the other 3#. most of the stuff he gets is just space hoggin'
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

To be honest, I think you'd be fine with Ziploc freezer bags - the thick-ish ones with the double closure... they're pretty bomber as long as they don't get punctured.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I am gonna use this thread for a off-topic, but dog related PSA
https://www.newsweek.com/fda-pet-food-r ... ts-1561092

Same thing happened in October with a different manufacturer:
https://www.newsweek.com/fda-sunshine-m ... in-1529656

I often buy dog toys and other non-food supplies at discount stores like TJMAxx and have often found expired treats from unknown brands being sold there.