Anyone Still Skiing Snowmass?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pbergmaier
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13 1
Trip Reports (4)

Anyone Still Skiing Snowmass?

Post by pbergmaier »

This is perhaps a completely silly question to be asking at this time of year, even after the winter we just had... but is Snowmass still worth skiing right now from the standard route? A buddy and I are thinking of nabbing the peak next weekend, and I'm trying to ski every month this year.

I've seen the recent reports, and it appears that snow coverage is still plentiful up high. I'm just not sure if this is something anyone is still doing, or has done recently. It's just a thought really. I realize it would require me to lug my skis/boots in and out on my back for ~20 miles, so tell me if I'm completely off my rocker to even consider this.
"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains" - Bilbo Baggins
https://www.instagram.com/icebergmaier/
cdgibbons
14ers: 57 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anyone Still Skiing Snowmass?

Post by cdgibbons »

Just put up a conditions report from yesterday with a photo. There's continuous snow for about 600', maybe more if you are really creative stringing sections together. It's pretty rutted and there are lots of rocks close to the surface. If you are on the standard route, not the direct variation, the snow starts about 150' below the ridge.
pbergmaier
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by pbergmaier »

cdgibbons wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 pm Just put up a conditions report from yesterday with a photo. There's continuous snow for about 600', maybe more if you are really creative stringing sections together. It's pretty rutted and there are lots of rocks close to the surface. If you are on the standard route, not the direct variation, the snow starts about 150' below the ridge.
Thanks for the info! Your photo is helpful. Looks like coverage isn't quite what I thought.
"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains" - Bilbo Baggins
https://www.instagram.com/icebergmaier/
Omatt89
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Omatt89 »

If you really wanna ski every month you should hit the glaciers. Atleast that's were your Gunna get the longest run. I went to St. Mary's glacier last week and it's a breeze of a hike maybe 1.5 miles to the glacier then I hiked for a ways up it, atleast 15-20 mins through the snow...well worth the hike and totally worth hiking more than once esp. If you get the snow in early afternoon when it's good corn .
Thought I got a pic of when I was at the top but it goes back for a ways and the pitch is pretty mellow
Attachments
IMG_20190809_201546666_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190809_201546666_BURST000_COVER.jpg (109.05 KiB) Viewed 2897 times