September snow?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jakomait
14ers: 58 
13ers: 181
Trip Reports (7)

September snow?

Post by Jakomait »

Hey Everyone!

A friend and his son are trying to ski every month and need some help. Anyone know of an area they can find some snow to ski with less than a 2hr hike in (snowmass would be a bit of a grunt)? It doesn't have to be on a peak either but I'm sure it's going to be pretty high elevation. They will be driving from Colorado Springs so obviously fewer hours of driving would be better but they know nothing will be 'close'.

Thanks for any beta in advance!
Giver skidoo
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: September snow?

Post by AnnaG22 »

St Mary's.

If they do feel like hauling their skis a long way up, there are some good snowfields sticking around Montezuma basin below Castle and Conundrum, too (not as far as Snowmass!!)
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

St. Mary's Glacier not too far from Idaho Springs.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Coming down from the amphitheatre in Pyramid. The "snow" is more ice and it's a narrow band, but it does extend for a couple hundred vertical feet at least. It wouldn't be fun, but they could say they did it. It goes from about 11.9k to 11.6k I think. So they'd have 2600' to gain over 3+ miles.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

Lambslide on Longs might be good still, last fall it turned into water ice at some point. Tyndall Glacier still has some snow patches too, not sure how long the longest connected piece is right now.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Mm might want to bring the rock skis for Lambslide. The thing looked like salt and pepper Sunday. I'd gun for Tyndall or Andrews and lie about the 2 hour thing.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Giant hills
14ers: 58  5  16 
13ers: 72 11 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Giant hills »

Queens way coulior, Isabelle glacier. sun cupped to all hell but still a good amount of of vert..right on the 2hour mark for approach at a comfortable pace with skis on the back :). Was on it a couple weeks ago and just saw it yesterday and it's still full.
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheRealRooster »

I saw some guys carrying up sticks to get in their turns on the north face of Democrat on Friday. Didn't look like something I'd haul up the gear for, but I think you can traverse in and get a few hundred feet of vertical maybe.

I'll likely be heading to St. Marys for my turns this month. Reward-to-effort ratio for most other objectives is fading quickly, from what I've seen.