Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Scott P »

Jbrow327 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:34 amcool. Thanks. Have you ever been on the dirt road that goes from coalville to the L corner of utah with Wyoming? That has some good views across the canyon that mirror lake highway runs through. Probably 13ers, but I dont know.
I have been on that road, but not for years. I believe you can see Tokewanna from that road.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 am
Oman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am There are big non-mountain differences. The brown cloud in SLC is worse than in Denver. Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver. Denver has much more and better theater, music, museums, pro sports, and restaurants (Los Carboncitos + El Taco de Mexico = Blue Iguana). For politics, SLC is a purple island in a red state; Denver is a blue island in a purple state.
Their skiing is better. However traffic getting to and on the mountain is starting to get obnoxious at Alta and Snowbird.

Beer - I think we've got 'em. Although, they have some decent spots.
Over christmas i asked my brother in law what time we were going to head out to go skiing. 8am. We parked 10 yards from the hill for free.

I would actually argue the theater in slc is better. At least on the non pro scene. Lots of good plays for $20 tix. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, the mexican food in denver generally blows. If i have to read one more menu pimping their "house made green chili" that gets dumped all over everything I'm going to throw my $2 basket of chips across the restaurant.

On the other hand, red iguana is some the best "mexican" food ive had. And I've lived in texas and arizona.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

For all their differences, Denver and Salt Lake City are the most similar of cities in this country, with the exception of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Oman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver.
I'm guessing that the reverse will be true sometime in the not so distant future.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Conor wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 pm
12ersRule wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 am
Oman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am There are big non-mountain differences. The brown cloud in SLC is worse than in Denver. Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver. Denver has much more and better theater, music, museums, pro sports, and restaurants (Los Carboncitos + El Taco de Mexico = Blue Iguana). For politics, SLC is a purple island in a red state; Denver is a blue island in a purple state.
Their skiing is better. However traffic getting to and on the mountain is starting to get obnoxious at Alta and Snowbird.

Beer - I think we've got 'em. Although, they have some decent spots.
Over christmas i asked my brother in law what time we were going to head out to go skiing. 8am. We parked 10 yards from the hill for free.

I would actually argue the theater in slc is better. At least on the non pro scene. Lots of good plays for $20 tix. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, the mexican food in denver generally blows. If i have to read one more menu pimping their "house made green chili" that gets dumped all over everything I'm going to throw my $2 basket of chips across the restaurant.

On the other hand, red iguana is some the best "mexican" food ive had. And I've lived in texas and arizona.
I live here in SLC and agree with most of what folks are saying here while comparing mountain ranges. BUT!! Aside from Red Iguana, the Mexican food in SLC is OMG-bland. This valley/state ain't known for its food in general. Spicy here would be considered something like neapolitan ice cream.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Scott P wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm
I'm guessing that the reverse will be true sometime in the not so distant future.
I think it is a stretch to think so. I find a lot of the educated in slc are really good lawyers and accountants that have great experience but would rather live in slc for less pay and crappy benefits. I know a lot of dentists and doctors hete in the front range that were born and raised in utah, but "won't take the pay cut" for slc. I find a lot of the state to be fairly uneducated or into manual labor. Slc just doesnt have the jobs to support the housing prices it is seeing today. The nsa super computing is more or less a joke with very few jobs, adobe is a good thing, but it doesn't support everyone. Lots of part time call center jobs, but the pay is generally awful and benefits worse. Hence why i dont live there.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Conor wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am
Scott P wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm
I think it is a stretch to think so. I find a lot of the educated in slc are really good lawyers and accountants that have great experience but would rather live in slc for less pay and crappy benefits. I know a lot of dentists and doctors hete in the front range that were born and raised in utah, but "won't take the pay cut" for slc. I find a lot of the state to be fairly uneducated or into manual labor. Slc just doesnt have the jobs to support the housing prices it is seeing today. The nsa super computing is more or less a joke with very few jobs, adobe is a good thing, but it doesn't support everyone. Lots of part time call center jobs, but the pay is generally awful and benefits worse. Hence why i dont live there.
The reason I predict that eventually SLC housing prices will be more than Denver's sometime in the future is because Denver is out on the plains and has a lot of room to spread out. Salt Lake City is surrounded by mountains on all sides except the northwest side, which has the Great Salt Lake. Eventually they are going to run out of land to build new houses on. The valley is filling up quick. Although it's still a ways off, once that happens, prices will continue to go up at a steep rate.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Conor wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Forgive me, SLC eaters, for I have sinned. I mixed up Red Iguana with Blue Iguana. Red > blue, at least for these restaurants.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

SnowAlien wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 am I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
In Colorado, Park City is very similar to Steamboat Springs if you ski there. The terrain, scenery, snowfall, snow, and elevations are similar.

They even look almost the same. See the photo of each:

The biggest difference is that Park City is less than 30 minutes from the Salt Lake metro and Steamboat is a long way from any large metro area.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

SnowAlien wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 am I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
I'd say Park $hitty and Breck are similarly crappy skiing.

NTTAWWT.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I like Breck skiing, I know I am weird. 8) Everybody knows it's flat, boring and crowded, nothing to look here, move on. I wonder if PC is similarly bad? :-k The only issue I've been having is a very long winter, especially like the last two. Maybe PC winter season is shorter, would be nice to see the sun once in awhile.
p.s. Thanks Scott!