Mt. Whitney

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Mt. Whitney

Post by Kiefer »

I know this is a bit of a hypothetical question,
but for those of you that have been out to the Inyo Wilderness and climbed Whitney, what do you think are the chances of just showing up
at the rangers station (mid-May) and actually getting a permit to climb?
IOW: not getting a permit in advance.

Thanks in advance!!! 8)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mt. Whitney

Post by Scott P »

In May the chances of getting a permit are really good. It is rare for permits to be all taken with the possible exception of Memorial Day weekend.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I agree with Scott, especially if you go mid week. It's a LONG day hike, more so in May when the snow level is quite high. Would you do it as a day hike or backpack to trail camp?
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:18 pm I agree with Scott, especially if you go mid week. It's a LONG day hike, more so in May when the snow level is quite high. Would you do it as a day hike or backpack to trail camp?
I would be it as a day hike/climb. I'm eyeballing Mountaineers. I'll be staying over the state line in Tonopah and Goldfield, NV. About three hours away.
I had a week planned for state high-pointing in New England. But I don't want to deal with the Coronavirusidiotstoiletpaperbanditsdomesticflightpossibleshutdownpandemonium back east.
So I'm driving west for a week of ghost hunting, hiking and peaks (Nevada & California high-points + extra). :-D

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate the info!!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Kiefer wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:56 pm
Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:18 pm I agree with Scott, especially if you go mid week. It's a LONG day hike, more so in May when the snow level is quite high. Would you do it as a day hike or backpack to trail camp?
I would be it as a day hike/climb. I'm eyeballing Mountaineers. I'll be staying over the state line in Tonopah and Goldfield, NV. About three hours away.
I had a week planned for state high-pointing in New England. But I don't want to deal with the Coronavirusidiotstoiletpaperbanditsdomesticflightpossibleshutdownpandemonium back east.
So I'm driving west for a week of ghost hunting, hiking and peaks (Nevada & California high-points + extra). :-D

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate the info!!
I recommend Grandview Campground in the White Mountains outside of Big Pine, CA, on the east side of Owens Valley from the Sierras. Gets you a lot closer to Whitney Portal but without the crowds, although May shouldn't be too bad. Walk up campsites. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... ecid=20268 As the campground itself goes, it's decent enough, and is over 8000 feet, but it's the incredible views of the Sierras across the valley in the campground area. You could also throw in White Mtn 14er. BORING walk up for a 14er, but a CA 14er nevertheless, and views are still gorgeous.

And, have you been to Tonopah or Goldfield? :-&
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Very good chance of getting a permit then. Keep an eye on weather and road conditions on the Portal Road-if that is closed higher up due to snow a day trip is not likely to be possible with the added mileage.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Most Mays it is snow hike or climb just like Colorado 14ers.

This year snow is under average so far.
https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/da ... update.pdf
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

FWIW, the permit process for Whitney changed last year, for the main Mt Whitney trail. There are no longer any walk-up permits issued during the quota season. Everything is by reservation only. I believe you can still get a walk-up permit for the North Fork Lone Pine Creek trail if you're looking at the Mountaineers Route.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pas ... 869#walkin

"No walk up permits are issued at the visitor center for Day Use - Mt Whitney, or Overnight - Mt Whitney Trail. These permits are by reservation only for trips beginning May 1 through November 1.

Reserve space from last minute cancellations or group size reductions on Recreation.gov. Reserved permits can utilize Will Call and Night Box Service if called in the day before the trip. Phone line closes at 4:30 pm.

Walk up permits will continue to be issued for other Inyo National Forest trail including overnight North Fork of Lone Pine Creek, or trips that exit at Whitney Portal."

Here's a link that shows CA snowpack relative to past years. The High Sierra are more or less in the "Central" area.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/swcchart.action
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Hey Kiefer, you can get a walk up and do the mountaineers route. A day trip is really the way to go and the MR isn’t hard. I can’t imagine going up the standard with all the people and endlesss switchbacks,
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

angry wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:23 pm Hey Kiefer, you can get a walk up and do the mountaineers route. A day trip is really the way to go and the MR isn’t hard. I can’t imagine going up the standard with all the people and endlesss switchbacks,
Mid week mid may there won't be too many people out for a stroll up there I wouldn't think.
psycholoco
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by psycholoco »

Pretty sure for day hikes it's the same permit for main Whitney trail or the Mountaineer's route, and no walk-ups. You have to reserve on-line, but spots open up all the time from cancellations, you just have to keep checking the site. There's almost always spots opening up 1-2 days before, but for busier times, you have to be somewhat vigilant with checking the reservation site. There should be plenty of spots opening up in May as most people who reserve spots are not prepared for typical May conditions. Like others have said, if you go mid-week, and/or have a couple day window, you shouldn't have any problems.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

deleted due to updated information
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.