car keys dropped down skywalker coulior

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmek19
14ers:summits28 winter3 
13ers:summits2 

car keys dropped down skywalker coulior

Post by nmek19 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm

dropped my keys for a honda down skywalker coulior on sunday. did not see how far they went but probably close to the right side.

If you find them please email me nmek19@gmail.com
Herbert
14ers:summits27 

Re: car keys dropped down skywalker coulior

Post by Herbert » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:37 pm

How did you drive out? I’ve pondered at times about what to do with the keys after you leave the trailhead. Maybe keeping them on a carabiner would be best.
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:19 am

Suck!

I started using some magnet or Velcro hide a key things years ago after a bad night locked out.

So many new cars don't have easily replaceable or spares, though. So I currently am single string on one vehicle (although it's a 2003, go figure...)

Most backpacks have a clip inside a zippered pocket, definitely use that for keys.
wildlobo71
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits85 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 am

I have never taken keys with me on a climbing or skiing trip since I did lose my keys about 20 or more years ago, while skiing and by the greatest of miracles we went back on snowmobiles after the resort closed and retraced our steps and found them near the one place I distinctly recall falling down at a high rate of speed. I have a distinct hiding place on my Jeep - it's not difficult but it's concealed, and I let all the people in my vehicle know where that is so - if they decide to return to the car early, or god forbid I don't come back, they have access to their stuff, shelter, etc...

Good luck on their return. That does suck.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am

I typically use the key clip in the lid of my pack(s) and have never had an issue. But that aside, I also do one or more multi-day kayaking trips a year and for those using car shuttle companies is the norm (assuming you can't find a partner with another vehicle). You leave a key hidden on the car, they pick it up and it's waiting for you when you take out. For such arrangements a magnetic hide-a-key box is useful and a pretty cheap option.

-Tom
Jay521
14ers:summits42 winter10 
13ers:summits153 winter25 
Trip Reports (51)

Post by Jay521 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 pm

I am great at losing keys - usually in the house and it takes me weeks to find them - so I carry an extra set in a pocket deep in my pack in addition to the normal set that I carry in a zipper pocket in my pants. Since I adopted the dual key strategy, I have not lost a set of keys on a hike. Kinda like if you have a good spare tire at proper inflation, you never get a flat. But let that sucker get deflated and what happens?
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
mtn_hound

Post by mtn_hound » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:18 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 am
I have never taken keys with me on a climbing or skiing trip since I did lose my keys about 20 or more years ago, while skiing and by the greatest of miracles we went back on snowmobiles after the resort closed and retraced our steps and found them near the one place I distinctly recall falling down at a high rate of speed. I have a distinct hiding place on my Jeep - it's not difficult but it's concealed, and I let all the people in my vehicle know where that is so - if they decide to return to the car early, or god forbid I don't come back, they have access to their stuff, shelter, etc...

Good luck on their return. That does suck.
I always find a rock or a stump or something not too far from the car and hide mine under that. The chance of someone poking around and finding a key hidden on the vehicle is pretty low, but the chance of them looking underneath some non-descript rock 50 yards away is almost zero.
mtree

Post by mtree » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm

mtn_hound wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:18 pm

I always find a rock or a stump or something not too far from the car and hide mine under that. The chance of someone poking around and finding a key hidden on the vehicle is pretty low, but the chance of them looking underneath some non-descript rock 50 yards away is almost zero.
Get this. I ALWAYS look for a couple good rocks to stuff in front of my downhill tires when parking on an incline. I promise to leave the rock alone if I find keys under it!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
nmek19
14ers:summits28 winter3 
13ers:summits2 

Post by nmek19 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Herbert wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:37 pm
How did you drive out? I’ve pondered at times about what to do with the keys after you leave the trailhead. Maybe keeping them on a carabiner would be best.

My girlfriend brought me the second set from boulder. only an hour drive each way luckily.
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 am

I've got a project to weld a combo magnetic safe to my frame. That way i can give partners/shuttle companies the key code and i don't have to be super paranoid about dropping my keys somewhere. I know the key clips in packs are supposed to help with that, but I'm still worried about dropping my keys somewhere.
mtree

Post by mtree » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:57 am

I'm always paranoid about my keys. I have a zipped inner pocket in my day pack where I keep them. I figure if I lose my pack something has gone terribly wrong. However, I recall taking my pack off to summit a final class 3/4 pitch more than once. I better rethink my strategy.

A buddy of mine ALWAYS leaves his somewhere on his truck. I think this is the safest plan. I better get one of those super magnets and hide a spare key somewhere. Yes, those super magnets really work. You'll lose your wheels before that magnet comes off.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers:summits9 

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:55 am

Or you could go Justin style and not use a car.