Alpine Loop ???

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jkmjr
Trip Reports (0)

Alpine Loop ???

Post by jkmjr »

Will be in the Lake City area and all along the Alpine Loop the first week of August. Will be doing some camping and was wondering about the mosquito situation? I'm sure it is different from location to location just in general that time of the year?
Also, if you were going to make a guess, do you think there will be a fire ban? Thanks
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Alpine Loop ???

Post by osprey »

Definitely a fire ban. The entire southwest area of the state is in extreme drought conditions.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I was there about a week ago and don't remember any mosquitoes. Since it has been too dry this will probably be a low mosquitoe year in the area.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Stage 1 Fire ban is in effect for Hinsdale County with extremely dry conditions despite the rain earlier this week. You can see latest details here:
https://www.colorado.gov/hinsdalecounty

Recommend white gas stove or jet boil or something for food prep if you’d like warm items to consume, local Fire departments are watching ban closely.

Mosquitoes are TERRIBLE!! Bring bug protection for sure... every time I hike, especially in areas of denser vegetation, I hear/see/swat several mosquitoes. Occasionally I forget the spray, totally regret it; I’ve several juicy bites that I’m diligently scrapping away at.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
gski
14ers: 50  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gski »

I was there last week. Fire ban is in effect. Mosquitoes weren't bad at all. We never used bug spray and didn't have a problem
ronxhill
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ronxhill »

Last week, flies were the biggest issue when cooking or eating. We ended up cooking then quickly getting inside to eat. Didn't notice any mosquitoes.