Best 14ers maps?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Best 14ers maps?

Post by Harrison1991 »

Trails illustrated or outdoor trail maps? Any other suggestions?
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Best 14ers maps?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

The 14er series at REI is good.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

You can download quads from the USGS site, free, but navigating through the site is a challenge. That would require a printer of course, and you can just get part of the map if you are using your own printer, you zoom in on the part you want and print that.

https://store.usgs.gov/

You can also poke around here and see if you get anything from this place.

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/selec ... =1000&s=CO
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mnsebourn »

I love the National Geographic maps.

https://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Bundle- ... +14&sr=8-1
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I think Latitude 40 and SkyTerrain produce better maps than Trails Illustrated does, with better local info, but mine seems to be a minority opinion. The TI maps sometimes cut off in inconvenient places. In particular I like the Lat 40 map of the western San Juans, labeled as "Ouray/Silverton/Telluride" I believe.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Scott Conro
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 126
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scott Conro »

I bought the Outdoor Trail maps complete 14er set in 2018, and I enjoy them. They helped me plan efficiently for the Wilson group and helped me navigate south of Missouri getting back to Elkhead when I was new to off trail travel. I had the La Plata one with me for Sayres the other day for a navigation backup. Very durable, stuffed in a small pocket, and no issues with them when they git a bit wet.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

The Outdoor Trail maps are significantly better than the Nat Geo maps. That was Bill Middlebrook’s assessment a few years ago. More detailed scale, lighter, durable, affordable.
https://14ersmaps.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Caltopo
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

rdp32 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:43 pmCaltopo
During my recent couple months of homelessness wandering around the mountains of NV/ID/MT/WY I've taken to downloading my routes beforehand on Caltopo's app. Worked great, especially because my outings were spread out and acquiring a paper map for each one would have been a pain. I plan to continue this practice when I get back to doing the 13ers, although I'll still carry paper maps because phones can die, and I'll only have the immediate area around my outings on the phone.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

DeTour wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 pm The Outdoor Trail maps are significantly better than the Nat Geo maps. That was Bill Middlebrook’s assessment a few years ago. More detailed scale, lighter, durable, affordable.
https://14ersmaps.com/
And I’m sticking with that. The Outdoor Trail maps are top of the line.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I've never used physical maps, only Gaia, but here's my two cents anyway - Trails Illustrated is great for trip planning, but not very good for navigation. It shows things at a higher level, has good information about the shape that trails are in, shows how trails will ink up, etc, but it is not very detailed at all. I use Trails Illustrated all the time when planning out trips and route, but when I'm hiking I stick to USFS topo (basically CalTopo) because it's much more detailed, much better for real-time use (reading topo lines, estimating distances, etc). The $40/year for the highest-tier version of Gaia is incredibly worth it, IMO, but I undertand some people just prefer physical maps.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

Caltopo and the Avenza app, but if you want physical maps, these are great.