New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LoneStar
14ers: 9 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by LoneStar »

Bale wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm I suspect the “Juice” pre-ordered a white one ;)
Al Cowlings calls shotgun.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

LoneStar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Bale wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm I suspect the “Juice” pre-ordered a white one ;)
Al Cowlings calls shotgun.
Cutting edge humor there. :-"
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

justiner wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:03 pm
Dan_Suitor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:19 am Have you seen the commercial with Jimmy Chin? It's way cool! Here is a link

If you need this car, I've got a watch to sell you too. But only if you're a modern hero, facing the toughest challenges.

Or I guess if you've gotta place in Jackson WY and Manhattan and those bills don't pay themselves, you know.
Yeah, I was debating whether the Bronco was just commercialized mountain culture on testosterone replacement theropy and then along comes Jimmy Chin to answer in the affirmative.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am
Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:43 am The FJ cruiser is nothing short of trash
I have a friend on this site who has a recent version with a lot of hard miles on it who would probably argue with you. I had a '76 and it was the real deal, a tank that would go anywhere with some reasonable driving skillz.
Yep, seems a bit harsh. The FJ is ugly, has bad visibility, and 3 wipers is dumb. But it will go as far as any other good stock 4x4 and my '08 still has plenty to give after 255,000 miles.

The new Bronco does look awesome though.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

You could just upgrade from a Suzuki to just about any other car and save a lot of stress and money, I bought a used 2004 4Runner for 13k with 150k and have put 70k in about 5 years on it since with about 3k in maint. I love driving that thing on burly roads, it’s a beast and it’s just stock.
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARY
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ARY »

I cannot afford new Bronco but it looks promising with manual transmission. Turbo compressor IMHO is an extra whistle to money drain on maintenance. Never tried Wranglers but I have heard they need frequent trips to garage (I have no facility nor skill to fix it myself). I've had XTerra 2005 offroad auto-tran version and was happy with it before it did 80K. After that point it was a black s-hole of money lost in repairs for mechanical and electrical problems. Young XTerra was very reasonable going up trails. I had Subaru Forester 2005 auto-tran but after 180K it started to fall apart, going up trails was not too bad but its clearance was always limited. Next one, Toyota Sequoya 4 WD auto was too wide, too long and had not enough clearance for a trail. I tried and hate F150 truck (most hate comes for "advanced" "smart" features). All those were second hands vehicles (hack they are way too expensive to get new).

Now I want to ask Tacoma folks, what subversion of Tacoma truck do you prefer, how is it going up trails, do you really often use 4x4, and do you really need custom modifications (what)?
ARY (Photo, video);
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Ford said that they will consider customer feedback for additional configurations. I am sure that there are so many people who want the base model with manual transmission and the Sasquatch package which is the most affordable off-road configuration. That crawl gear looks sweet. Manual is so popular among jeep owners and Ford realizes they need to match the offerings to grab a big market share. Otherwise you will have to buy a base model and upgrade the suspension and wheels. Probably similar cost but a bit annoying.

I am sure that little Spiderman would do more hikes with me if I had a Bronco instead of a Civic. Long walks on 4wd roads is not high up on his wish list for weekend activities. Builds character, huh?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

spiderman wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 am I am sure that little Spiderman would do more hikes with me if I had a Bronco instead of a Civic. Long walks on 4wd roads is not high up on his wish list for weekend activities. Builds character, huh?
Get 'em a bike.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

justiner wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am
spiderman wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 am I am sure that little Spiderman would do more hikes with me if I had a Bronco instead of a Civic. Long walks on 4wd roads is not high up on his wish list for weekend activities. Builds character, huh?
Get 'em a bike.
See, Little Spiderman, you and your college friends should get into the Long Ranger style of biking to trailheads from Golden. Work off all of that fat from sitting in the office all summer earning money instead of being in the mountains. Y'all need to keep up with your dad's unfathamoable inconceivable endurance :bicep: by doing 200 mile approaches on two wheels. \:D/