New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by justiner »

No I just meant the few miles of 4x4 road that this vehicle is I guess being considered for.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i, too, am a stubborn automotive traditionalist and a lover of the manual trans, but i would imagine that Ford would utilize a "Manumatic" shifter in the automatics. it works FABULOUSLY well on my 4runner, both in 4L on trail, and in 2H when traveling up and down mountains.

truthfully... and this is so painful for me to admit... it's a hard argument to go back to a clutch when i spend most weekends sitting in mountain rush hour.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

stephakett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm it's a hard argument to go back to a clutch when i spend most weekends sitting in mountain rush hour.
Or any rush hour.

I was a staunch manual trans kinda-guy. 2 years of Erie -> Boulder commutes ended it for me, surprised my wife didn't divorce me too given the absolutely shitty moods I would return home in...
Make wilderness less accessible.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

justiner wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 pm No I just meant the few miles of 4x4 road that this vehicle is I guess being considered for.
I fully support your modus operandi. Really doesn't make sense to sit behind the wheel for four hours when you could be on the saddle getting 15 hours of good exercise. Saves money for the parents of college kids, also.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 215 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Dave B wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 pm
stephakett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm it's a hard argument to go back to a clutch when i spend most weekends sitting in mountain rush hour.
Or any rush hour.

I was a staunch manual trans kinda-guy. 2 years of Erie -> Boulder commutes ended it for me, surprised my wife didn't divorce me too given the absolutely shitty moods I would return home in...
Manual transmissions are the best! I wouldn’t be considering the Bronco were it not available in a 3 pedal version. I hope/plan to never own an automatic, I’ll be the last holdout.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Will_E wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm
Manual transmissions are the best! I wouldn’t be considering the Bronco were it not available in a 3 pedal version. I hope/plan to never own an automatic, I’ll be the last holdout.
Citation needed.

After being a manual only person for 20 years, I've been forced into automatics. Other than the "I'm a cool guy" factor, it's pretty hard to argue that a manual beats an automatic. Except for burnouts and doughnuts and power slides. I'll give you that. And I also like it for the barrier to getting stolen angle.

It's a little bit like saying a 1959 Gibson LP through a Vox AC30 top boost is objectively better than a PRS CE24 through a Kemper and FRFR.
At some point it's just appealing to antiquity.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 322 26 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:27 pm
Will_E wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm
Citation needed.
Some people just find manuals more fun. It's difficult to argue for their practicality anymore (especially in offroading, automatic gives way more control), but there's plenty to be said for just gravitating to something you enjoy more. Same reason why people still telemark ski: it's way worse for big mountains nowadays since AT gear has gotten so good and so lightweight, but plenty of people prefer the feel of something that requires more out of the user. It's hard to argue that automatics aren't objectively better, but few people will argue that they're more fun to drive.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am
Some people just find manuals more fun. It's difficult to argue for their practicality anymore.
i like to know i could always push start.... having been required to do it many times with various vehicles in different circumstances.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

shelly+ wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am
9patrickmurphy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am
Some people just find manuals more fun. It's difficult to argue for their practicality anymore.
i like to know i could always push start.... having been required to do it many times with various vehicles in different circumstances.
This.
It happened to more than one person I can recall. Its a reason I always try to park facing a downhill exit if at all possible.
The anti-theft device is also pretty compelling. No punks interested in a stick. Might as well be a helicopter cockpit.

The downside...tough to find someone to take you home if you need it!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

mtree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:56 am No punks interested in a stick. Might as well be a helicopter cockpit.
Are you saying that Fast & Furious franchise is a work of fiction? I watched it as a documentary. :shock: :? :(
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Will_E wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm I hope/plan to never own an automatic, I’ll be the last holdout.
You aren't the only one. I learned to drive on a stick and every vehicle I've ever owned has been a stick.

I also appreciate the value of it as an anti-theft device, particularly when I lived/worked in Los Angeles, SF Bay area and Miami. The only "problem" I've ever encountered is when I had to valet and none of the valet drivers knew how to park my car. :lol: