Contiguous US 14ers

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Contiguous US 14ers

Post by Scott P » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:46 am

douglas wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:39 am
Where do they get their ascent numbers? Bierstadt at 1,005? Are they just counting a summer weekend?
They just count the number of people that log into peak bagger and sign the log. That's the same think that LoJ and Summitpost do too.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 am

Scott P wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:35 pm
douglas wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:05 pm
You clearly are very passionate about prominence and clean prominence and interpolated prominence and prominence. Can you please explain the difference for dummies like me?
I'll use Peakbagger and Mt. Muir as an example.

Saddle elevations usually aren't marked on topo maps (but in a few cases they are). Most saddle elevations also don't fall exactly on a contour line either.

What everyone (I know of) world-wide, except for Peak Bagger does is to use the average of the two contours; the one above and the one below the saddle. This is known as prominence or interpolated prominence. Statistically, this is the most accurate way to do things.

Peakbagger doesn't do this. They use only the contour above the saddle. This is known as clean prominence since there is no averaging involved. Peak bagger still does list the avearge (interpolated) prominece, but they use only the highest saddle contour (and/or highest peak contour for peaks that don't have a listed elevation) for their lists.

See here for the Peakbagger page on Mt Muir and the box I outlined:

Peakbagger.JPG

Only Peakbagger uses clean prominence on their lists, everyone else (I know of) world wide uses the average (which is usually known as just prominence or interpolated prominence), which is also in the box and which is the last number in that box. This is what everyone else uses. See listsofjohn for example:

listsofjohn.JPG

Average is the most accurate way to do it, even if it isn't perfect.

What the topo map of Mt Muir actually says is that Mt Muir rises somewhere between 298 and 364 feet above the saddle (it doesn't give an exact elevation of the saddle; only contour lines).

That means there is a 2.9% chance that Mt Muir has less than 300 feet prominence and a 97.1% chance that Mt Muir has more than 300 feet prominence and thus is a ranked peak.

Even though the there is only a 2.9% chance that the peak has less than 300 feet prominece, that is what Peakbagger uses because clean prominence would say that a peak has to have a 0% chance of not being ranked to be included. This is why I consider using clean promince to be flawed. A lot of peaks that really do have 300' prominece are eliminated.

Using prominence (or interpolated prominence) is much better to use, but it isn't perfect.

Let's say a peak has 270-310 feet of prominence using the countour lines. Using prominence/interpolated prominence, the peak would have 290 feet of prominence. The prominence would be listed as 290 feet, but since there is still a 25% chance (in this example) that the peak has over 300 feet of prominence, the peak would be given a soft rank. If you see a soft ranked peak in a guidebook (such as Roach's) or on an online list, this is what it means. Any soft ranked peak has less than a 50% chance of having more than 300 feet of prominence, but still has some chance that it would be ranked had an exact elevation been available.

Hopefully that made sense.
Great explanation, Scott. I see the reasoning in only wanting to include peaks you're "sure" about with clean prominence (peakbagger). However, like you said, a pursuer of this list would very, very likely be missing out on some peaks that are actually ranked. Using the interpolated prominence is statistically the more accurate way to calculate the prominence of peaks. And again, as you mentioned, if someone would like to be fairly certain they've climbed all the ranked peaks, they should use the "optimistic prominence" (or over-estimating) list. That way, they'll likely have climbed too many peaks, but will VERY likely have climbed all the ranked ones (assuming no map contour errors, etc). Just because the majority of sites/people use one method doesn't make another method incorrect, however, it does urge scrutiny when evaluating the less common method. And the less common method in this case does indeed seem to be less statistically accurate for estimating prominence values of peaks (leaving out too many that would actually be ranked).
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 57 12 24
13ers: 679 40 35
Trip Reports (64)

Post by Chicago Transplant » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am

Peakbagger also does not use the interpolated summit elevation, and creates different cut-offs for elevation rank lists. For example, their Highest 200 does not include peaks that are traditionally included which have an interpolated summit of 13580. Instead those are tied and ranked at #208. There are 5 of them - Powell, Clark, Twin, 13580 in the Sangres and 13580 in the San Juans. The peakbagger highest 200 list includes instead, Chiefs Head, Evans B and PT 13577 in the Sangres.

Even though 11 peaks on their Highest 200 do not have 300' of clean prominence, they still include them as they use 280' of clean prominence to consider a peak ranked. If you are working on the Highest 200 list and want to be safe, you have to climb at least 205 peaks (all 5 of the 13560+ closed contours and Chiefs Head, Evans B and PT 13577). If worried about soft rankeds, you need to climb 11 more hard ranks after that. So a list of 200 peaks becomes 216. I am all for more mountains not less, but you have to admit its a pretty faulty system if there is an 8% buffer required.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
brichardsson
14ers: List not added
13ers: 5

Post by brichardsson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Scott P wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

...screed...
take a deep breath and get outside bro. seriously.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:12 pm

brichardsson wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Scott P wrote:

...screed...
Way to dodge the question.
brichardsson
14ers: List not added
13ers: 5

Post by brichardsson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Scott P wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:12 pm
brichardsson wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Scott P wrote:

...screed...
Way to dodge the question.
No, it's just that this isn't a hill I need to die on. I gave you the reason, you want to argue it. You don't like it, take it up with Greg (again). That's the beauty of free will. I can work any list I want, and I don't have to answer to anyone.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:24 pm

brichardsson wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:15 pm
That's the beauty of free will. I can work any list I want, and I don't have to answer to anyone.
Ditto.

It was you that was trying to argue with everyone that Muir wasn't a ranked peak.

So have a good day and happy climbing.