Google Dependencies

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
budmaster
14ers: 22
13ers: 9

Google Dependencies

Post by budmaster » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Is there any way to use the app without Google dependencies? I got a new phone and now the app no longer works because there is no Google account associated with the phone. I can get information about peaks and trail heads, but the app exits when trying to look at maps because the lack of a Google account. It would be great if the 14ers app worked without requiring a Google account.
budmaster

Re: Google Dependencies

Post by budmaster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:08 am

So not only does the app require a Google Account to use all features (specially those associated with Google Maps), I recently learned the app also requires a network signal to open. This would be a really good app if the the Google and network dependencies were removed. Otherwise, there are not many advantages over a PC for 14er research.
peter303
14ers: 34
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:16 am

I make screen shot backups just in case of no connection.
daway8
14ers: 58 18
13ers: 79 21
Trip Reports (49)

Post by daway8 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:33 am

Definitely does not need a network signal to open or to use. You will need to click the "Save Maps / Images for Offline" link at the bottom of the route description if you want to view the images without having a network connection.

I use it all the time when I'm not only out of range of any network but all also in airplane mode. I can pull up route descriptions, images, track my position, etc - all without network.

If you try to turn on the 13er overlay or 14er routes on the map it will try to refresh from online but just turn those on before you leave town and those will be good for a day or so.

As far as Google - I believe there is an Apple version out there though I think Bill is still working on bringing it up to date.

Make sure you have the new app (which has the features described) - the old one is no longer supported and may grow flakey with age...
budmaster

Post by budmaster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:43 am

daway8 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:33 am
Definitely does not need a network signal to open or to use. You will need to click the "Save Maps / Images for Offline" link at the bottom of the route description if you want to view the images without having a network connection.

As far as Google - I believe there is an Apple version out there though I think Bill is still working on bringing it up to date.

Make sure you have the new app (which has the features described) - the old one is no longer supported and may grow flakey with age...
So today I turned off wifi and data, the app did open after some delay. But yesterday, wifi and data was enabled, but no connection available, and the app would not open. I got a message that no connection was available and two options, try again or close. I attempted to open the app several times, each time with the same result. I wish I took a screen shot. I never thought of disabling wifi and data yesterday. But next time I am out of cell range I will try again to see if I can replicate yesterday's experience.

An Apple version will not work on an Android. I have an Android phone, but it does not require an Android account.

I do have the latest 14er app.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 167 55 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm

The device OS tells the app if there’s a Internet connection or not. It relies on the OS to respond either way but will time out if there is an extensive delay or lack of OS response. The problems sound odd to me and could be due to some Google components that are missing. In particular, the map requires Google Play Services but should ask you to install it if it’s missing.

To be clear, once images are “Saved for Offline” for a specific route, they are available when the phone doesn’t have a network connection. When I want a few routes for offline use, I simply use the bookmark function which then asks me if I want to also download the pics for offline.

If you’re still having problems with it bombing or hanging, send me some screen shots, including one of the about page which shows the app version, etc.
“Some things never change, no, don't ever change
And I'm feeling the cold
Thinking that we're getting older and wiser
When we're just getting old”
- David Gilmour
budmaster

Post by budmaster » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm
If you’re still having problems with it bombing or hanging, send me some screen shots, including one of the about page which shows the app version, etc.
OK, I finally got in a location outside of cell and wifi service. I had cell and wifi enabled, but no service available for either. Error message from the app is shown below:

But I am confused what is the latest version based on your comment in another thread:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 am
*** EDIT: The app hit the Google Play Store today, 5/20/2020 ***

In the Google Play Store:
1) Use this link or Search for "14ers.com" in the store. Look for the "14ers.com" app from Developer 14ERS.COM, not the old one from Wyeknot Software which is likely near or at the top of the search results
So I am using the version from your link even though the one from Wyeknot Software is more recent. You can see my version screen shot below:

Imageupload pics to forums

Please confirm which version to use. It is very confusing to have two different apps in the Playstore that looks the same.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 167 55 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:47 am

yes, that's the correct app. The wyeknot version is going away after the busy season. Sorry for the version confusion.

As far as the network connection problem you're having: I'm guessing some Google components are missing based on your earlier post. I don't see anything in the Google crash analytics related to this so while it's hanging, it's not reporting an error to Google. I'll take a look at the code to see if I can make a change to help with the problem you're having. In the meantime, could you PM me your phone model, Android version, the exact date/time of that hanging screen shot and steps taken just before the app hang? Thanks
“Some things never change, no, don't ever change
And I'm feeling the cold
Thinking that we're getting older and wiser
When we're just getting old”
- David Gilmour
SheriGoddart24
14ers: List not added

Post by SheriGoddart24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 am

Hello! Thank you for warning about this feature of the application. It would be very bad to find this out when I had no internet. But taking screenshots is also a way out, but it's not convenient
budmaster

Post by budmaster » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:37 pm

@SheriGoddart24 I had this problem when I was out of cell and wifi range with cell and wifi enabled. I did not have the problem when I manually disabled wifi and cell. Now I have not tried disabling cell and wifi after going out of range. I will do so next time.
daway8
14ers: 58 18
13ers: 79 21
Trip Reports (49)

Post by daway8 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:07 pm

SheriGoddart24 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 am
Hello! Thank you for warning about this feature of the application. It would be very bad to find this out when I had no internet. But taking screenshots is also a way out, but it's not convenient
This "feature" doesn't apply to the vast majority of users - the OP has an unusual setup of an Android phone with no Google apps which is likely the root cause of the unexpected behavior. Sounds like Bill is looking into it.