Missing Hiker - Ben Brownlee

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Missing Hiker - Ben Brownlee

Post by geojed »

Very sad to hear. Seems like he was a pretty awesome guy.
From the description of where he was found it seems like he must've been scrambling through the towers by PT13665 on his way to Cooper Creek Pk when the accident happened. Those are the only cliffs or towers SE of Cooper Creek Peak at least.
Attachments
PT13665 towers.png
PT13665 towers.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3764 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

geojed wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am Very sad to hear. Seems like he was a pretty awesome guy.
From the description of where he was found it seems like he must've been scrambling through the towers by PT13665 on his way to Cooper Creek Pk when the accident happened. Those are the only cliffs or towers SE of Cooper Creek Peak at least.
High likelihood. He was headed back toward the Redcloud saddle from UN13832 when my wife and I came across him. That is really the only logical path to Cooper Creek Pk from there.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Always sad to hear about a death in the mountains.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

geojed wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am Very sad to hear. Seems like he was a pretty awesome guy.
Follow-up with a couple additional photos, since the towers aren't super clear in geojed's photos. These were taken in the basin for Redcloud's standard route, near where it climbs steeply, looking north. That section of towers is short but they're exceptionally rugged and the rock in that area is garbage. Until we know more it's just speculation, but given the article denvermikey posted it seems like that area would be the only logical one.
20191110_153716.jpg
20191110_153716.jpg (267.72 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
20191110_153716_crop.jpg
20191110_153716_crop.jpg (115.91 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
My condolences to Ben's loved ones. He was a talented climber and I enjoyed regularly seeing his name on LoJ.
Last edited by supranihilest on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Condolences to Ben's family and friends. It's always tough to see a young life lost in the mountains.

Agree with other posters, that is a stretch of rugged terrain up there. I remember looking at that area while descending Cooper Creek Peak last fall and being surprised at how difficult some of it looked.

-Andrew
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
dwemp6
14ers: 22  2 
13ers: 24 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwemp6 »

Condolences to family and friends. Sounded like a great guy.
Collect memories, not things.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

What stood out to me the most about Ben, in addition to his hiking prowess, was his devotion to helping others achieve their high-altitude dreams. He was chasing multiple lists, as most of us are. But he also had the rare quality of often setting aside his personal ambitions in order to share his passion for the mountains with others.

I had the privilege of spending about 10 hours on a ridgeline with Ben on September 12, as a participant on his first-ever Colorado Mountain Club outing as trip leader. We talked about his accomplishments, of which there were many, and his goals, of which there were more. More than both combined, however, he talked about how excited he was to become a trip leader. He was absolutely stoked to share his knowledge, skills and experience with other mountaineers. He was good at it, too. He went out of his way to spend personal time with every hiker on that outing and made them feel comfortable and included. It's a lofty comparison, but his outlook toward the mountains was reminiscent of the legendary Steve Gladbach.

That was our first and regrettably only hike together, but we'd exchanged months worth of emails and he was always one of my favorite people to catch up with at CMC events. He had that kind of presence, as natural leaders often do, that made everyone he interacted with feel like they had his enthused and undivided attention. He always left a mark. The world needs more people like Ben.

By pure coincidence, if his accident hadn't occurred, we would have stumbled upon each other on Half Peak this past Sunday. My heart aches for what should have been. Sending my love to his family, friends, and others who knew him.

Here are a few favorites from that hike a few weeks ago:

IMG_3949.jpg
IMG_3949.jpg (355.22 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
IMG_5816_Original.jpg
IMG_5816_Original.jpg (152.49 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
IMG_3975.JPG
IMG_3975.JPG (138.39 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

This is terrible - my condolences to everyone who knew or happened to cross paths with Ben
"Be the beta you wish to find."
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

Sharing this in response to some of the other photos, seems to be the only TR tagged to Cooper with a close look at that SE Ridge that connects to saddle with Redcloud. Def looks like some challenging terrain in that short section if you don’t drop below the ridge. In line pics copied from the TR.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=19483
31A489C5-2C8F-44FC-B678-2EE8C3EE5A74.png
31A489C5-2C8F-44FC-B678-2EE8C3EE5A74.png (963.34 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
EC08638E-4743-499D-9297-93C82DA954FD.png
EC08638E-4743-499D-9297-93C82DA954FD.png (877.26 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
geojed
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

bluegrassclimber wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:58 am Sharing this in response to some of the other photos, seems to be the only TR tagged to Cooper with a close look at that SE Ridge that connects to saddle with Redcloud. Def looks like some challenging terrain in that short section if you don’t drop below the ridge. In line pics copied from the TR.
Good Catch on finding those photos. Here's one more picture from that TR taken from the summit of PT13665 that really shows the towers on the ridge well. Looks pretty gnarly and you wouldn't suspect it from looking at topo maps or even as you climb up the gentle slopes to the top of PT13665.
Attachments
View from PT13665 to Cooper Creek Peak.jpg
View from PT13665 to Cooper Creek Peak.jpg (174.3 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

geojed wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:09 am
bluegrassclimber wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:58 am Sharing this in response to some of the other photos, seems to be the only TR tagged to Cooper with a close look at that SE Ridge that connects to saddle with Redcloud. Def looks like some challenging terrain in that short section if you don’t drop below the ridge. In line pics copied from the TR.
Good Catch on finding those photos. Here's one more picture from that TR taken from the summit of PT13665 that really shows the towers on the ridge well. Looks pretty gnarly and you wouldn't suspect it from looking at topo maps or even as you climb up the gentle slopes to the top of PT13665.
TR clearly states they did not attempt the ridge to Cooper, the photos in the TR are terrain around the summit of 13,665 and don't show the area of the 13,665-Cooper Creek ridge that is in question. The photo posted by geojed does give a nice view of the difficult part of the ridge.
AnastasiaC
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (1)

Post by AnastasiaC »

Sincerest condolences to Ben's family and friends. Sounds like he was a great guy, so sorry for your loss.