"Winter Access" When does it begin?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)

"Winter Access" When does it begin?

Post by CaptCO » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:45 am

As I close in on some of the more distant centennials left, I'm curious as to when the trailheads fully close. Last year I was naive and believed it was after Labor Day. Is it safe to say after the >1' of new snow predicted, that most of the San Juan trailheads will be inaccessible? Are there any that require less than 5-10mi of extra mileage? Sorry if this has been answered before..
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Scott P
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)

Re: "Winter Access" When does it begin?

Post by Scott P » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:51 am

CaptCO wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:45 am
I'm curious as to when the trailheads fully close.
When either there is too much snow to drive on them or when the gates are locked.

That's an impossible question to answer since you didn't say what trailheads. They are all different.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:57 am

Scott P wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:51 am
CaptCO wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:45 am
I'm curious as to when the trailheads fully close.
When either there is too much snow to drive on them or when the gates are locked.

That's an impossible question to answer since you didn't say what trailheads. They are all different.
Sorry, I should've been more specific
Nutras Creek or Cebolla, Silver/Grizzly, Mill Creek for Dallas (open?) or is Blue Lakes gulley preferred, Rock of Ages or Gladstone alt., routes for Rio Grande Pyramid, Jagged, Phoenix, and Cataract Gulch. When the Durango train runs, does it drop at Cascade during Winter? What are the logistics for that if you know?

I found out what too much snow meant going to Lily Lake TH last December with blizzaks and a RWD truck. Dumb me, I know. Just an FYI I’ve only seen/lived/hiked in snow for one season. I take precautions and try to learn as much as possible, found out firsthand how deadly it can be
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
CaptainSuburbia
14ers:summits58 winter32 
13ers:summits98 winter18 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CaptainSuburbia » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm

They close when there is too much snow for your vehicle :-D
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 pm

CaptainSuburbia wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm
I guess I need to make more money so I can buy a lifted Jeep Wrangler or Ford Bronco..

I guess I had false hope some roads nearby would be plowed vs others not

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
dwoodward13
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits101 winter3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:37 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote:
I guess I need to make more money so I can buy a lifted Jeep Wrangler or Ford Bronco..

The USFS generally doesn't plow anything. If its a county road, the counties may or may not plow depending on if there are people living down a road or some other infrastructure. I would think Mill Creek (water treatment plant at the end), Gladstone East Face (off a paved state highway), Cataract Gulch (houses somewhat close by, maybe a bit of walking), Jagged (Vallecito Res has a paved road, Purgatory is always open!) would remain accessible for all of winter.

Nutras, Cebolla, Silver Creek/GG if they aren't already gated, are probably very close to being so.

Your best bet is to call the relevant USFS Ranger District or a local chamber of commerce/visitors centers to get info on gates.
Hiker Mike
14ers:summits29 
13ers:summits4 

Post by Hiker Mike » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:44 pm

CaptCO wrote:

A lifted Jeep or Bronco won't help much in deep snow. A snowmobile however, could be your ticket. Or my favorite; a Snow-Trac!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Trac
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
globreal
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter27 
13ers:summits178 winter8 
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm

CaptCO wrote:
CaptainSuburbia wrote:

A lifted vehicle isn't often what is going to make the difference on how far you can drive in. Sometimes the slope angle of a slick road determines whether or not you can drive it. I've seen many vehicles just slide right off the road.

There are a few places where some roads are partially plowed and you can drive to that standard winter closure. Other places it's just a matter of how much snow has fallen and who as driven/packed the road. Sometimes having chains can get you further in and sometimes they won't.

Doing your research is helpful. You can find out on here as Bill has many of the TH/winter closure info listed. However, you really need to research current conditions. The trailhead condition status updates are often helpful.

However, my experience is that you are USUALLY better off not spending the extra time to stop and put on chains, or attempt to drive that extra distance to the summer TH. If you get stuck or slide off the road then you've most likely just trashed your whole day to get a summit. The time savings/effort savings usually isn't worth it. Just jump into your snowshoes or AT skis and go get it!
globreal
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter27 
13ers:summits178 winter8 
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:47 pm

globreal wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm
CaptCO wrote:
CaptainSuburbia wrote:

A lifted vehicle isn't often what is going to make the difference on how far you can drive in. Sometimes the slope angle of a slick road determines whether or not you can drive it. I've seen many vehicles just slide right off the road.

There are a few places where some roads are partially plowed and you can drive to that standard winter closure. Other places it's just a matter of how much snow has fallen and who as driven/packed the road. Sometimes having chains can get you further in and sometimes they won't.

Doing your research is helpful. You can find out on here as Bill has many of the TH/winter closure info listed. However, you really need to research current conditions. The trailhead condition status updates are often helpful.

However, my experience is that you are USUALLY better off not spending the extra time to stop and put on chains, or attempt to drive that extra distance to the summer TH. If you get stuck or slide off the road then you've most likely just trashed your whole day to get a summit. The time savings/effort savings usually isn't worth it. Just jump into your snowshoes or AT skis and the winter closure and go get it!
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Thank you everyone, I admit to being a bit lazy and not doing enough research

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
bmcqueen
14ers:summits58 winter47 
13ers:summits288 winter16 
Trip Reports (23)

Post by bmcqueen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:51 pm

I did the UNs a few years ago a couple days after Thanksgiving. Gate was open to Silver Creek when I went in that morning. Not so much when I went to leave that evening...

We got to Nutras Creek in Jan a few years ago too in the super dry winter. Most years that wouldn’t have gone.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Trotter
14ers:summits53 winter5 
13ers:summits179 ski2 winter12 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Trotter » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:55 pm

dwoodward13 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Your best bet is to call the relevant USFS Ranger District or a local chamber of commerce/visitors centers to get info on gates.
+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche