New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by Paula »

Dave B wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:22 pm
Boggy B wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm I'm getting this one: https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev
This is going to confuse the s**t out of a lot of middle America, big-dick energy in a little-dick package. Or maybe it's little-dick energy in a little-dick package, YMMV.
Long and narrow. Not technically a little dick, but also not satisfying.
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
summitbound
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (25)

Post by summitbound »

I am a huge Bronco fan. I still own a 96 that I bought nearly new in 96. Its a beast but its biggest challenges are its size and fuel economy. I have been waiting years for Ford to finally release a new version.

I am one of those that will need to see it in person and drive it for final opinion, but I must say I am impressed so far. Ford is clearly gunning for the Jeep buyer market and it looks like they hit a home run with it. As others have mentioned. Ford put a ton of thought into the new Bronco. Watch any number of YouTube videos and you can see the attention to detail and function that has been put into it. Every issue or after market solution seems to have been addressed right from the factory.

While they are most likely going to get the bulk of their sales from the pavement princesses and mall crawlers of the world, its a legit off road vehicle. Someone made a comment about busting an oil pan on Como, anything is possible, but not likely here. Ford has not been shy about putting the new Bronco though its paces on every noteworthy 4x4 trail in America. Its taken on Moab, the Rubicon, as well as several 4x4 roads here in CO. It will be fine on the road to Lake Como.

There is a lot of discussion on various forums about IFS vs solid front axle. You will never convince the hardcore off road crowd that anything but solid axle is the way to go, but Ford is not after that tiny percentage of the market. They went with a compromise of perhaps slightly less off road prowess, in favor of superior ride quality. Having just spent 5 hours driving to Lake City for less than an hour of off pavement needs, I would go for this "tradeoff" 10 times out of 10.

Engines- lots of opinions out there on this one too. Ford has clearly moved all their light duty platforms to their ecoboost lineup. I doubt you will ever see a factory V8 in the Bronco, but the numbers they are getting are super impressive. Given the all in approach on these engines, if there are quality issues, they will have to work them out, too many sales are dependent on them.

Lots of people complaining about the price. Toss out the high end "every option checked" model and start with the base model, you will still find it very well equipped and very capable for most people. Its price is super competitive with same base model Jeep as well as any other 4x4 in a similar class. The overall car market is just expensive. Ford has the edge (for now) in that they offer newer design and better technology for the same price. IMO its apples and oranges to try and put a Xterra or FJ in mix, they don't produce these vehicles anymore.

Styling- lol lots of opinions on this one. For me its true to its roots, you put it side by side with an early Bronco and there is no mistaking where its styling came from. They even digitized in the lines of an actual early Bronco to use. Does it share a similar vibe with FJs and others out there? sure. It could easily be argued those models borrowed their look from the original Bronco. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for me.

Manual vs automatic- This is all personal preference at this point. I think the advantages and conveniences of an automatic far outweigh those of a manual. I do believe I read that Ford has listened to consumer feedback and you can get the manual with the bigger engine now.

I'll wait a year or two to see if there are any kinks that Ford needs to work out and try and snag a new\used one for a cheaper price.

At lest Ford came to the game ready to play, they could have taken the Chevy Blazer route and produced another identity challenged over saturated soccer mom "SUV" The Bronco is a breath of fresh air in that category and hopefully will inspire Jeep to step up its game as well, IMO Jeep has become a little lax in owning that marketspace for so long. When there is competition its a win-win situation for the consumer.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

summitbound wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:51 am
At lest Ford came to the game ready to play, they could have taken the Chevy Blazer route and produced another identity challenged over saturated soccer mom "SUV" ...
True, nice to see a rugged looking new Bronco not the cookie cutter looking SUV like many others getting lost in the masses
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm starting to see a few around. Surprisingly the only ones I have seen looked more like a station wagon than an off roader. I thought more people would go for the off road trims.

Someone on the project also has one, but I haven't seen it since he takes his company truck to the project. Apparently he is already having problems with the Bronco. Something about the roof and high idle.

It's probably best to wait a year or two do the bugs can be worked out.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:44 am I'm starting to see a few around. Surprisingly the only ones I have seen looked more like a station wagon than an off roader. I thought more people would go for the off road trims.

Someone on the project also has one, but I haven't seen it since he takes his company truck to the project. Apparently he is already having problems with the Bronco. Something about the roof and high idle.

It's probably best to wait a year or two do the bugs can be worked out.
I've seen lots of the the small ones, they look OK, don't really seem to offer much over over small crossovers other than the Bronco name. Same frame as the new Maverick "truck" Ford is producing to compete with the Honda Ridgeline crowd.
Make wilderness less accessible.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:07 pm they look OK, don't really seem to offer much over over small crossovers other than the Bronco name.
I don't see a lot of sport utes doing these things. And, this is the least equipped version of the new bronco. Look six minutes in if you want to cut to the chase.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

You can do that in a Porsche :P

"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:17 pm You can do that in a Porsche
Accept no substitute... :mrgreen:

But at 75 -150k, I don't think I'd be doing that with one and the Bronco costs around 40k fairly well appointed.

I know what's in my price range. :lol:
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm
Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:07 pm they look OK, don't really seem to offer much over over small crossovers other than the Bronco name.
I don't see a lot of sport utes doing these things. And, this is the least equipped version of the new bronco. Look six minutes in if you want to cut to the chase.
Agreed that is pretty impressive, ain't no Toyota Highlander doing that. I didn't realize they came with a transfer case, 4lo puts it well ahead of all the other crossovers, other than maybe the 4wd versions of the Touareg and the no-way-i'd-ever-buy Land Rover cross over (???)
Make wilderness less accessible.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:46 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm
Agreed that is pretty impressive, ain't no Toyota Highlander doing that. I didn't realize they came with a transfer case, 4lo puts it well ahead of all the other crossovers, other than maybe the 4wd versions of the Touareg and the no-way-i'd-ever-buy Land Rover cross over (???)
susanjoypaul wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:29 pm That's a Bronco Sport - completely different truck than the Bronco.
That was my point, Susan. It’s a Bronco light, and can still do that.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:31 pm
That was my point, Susan. It’s a Bronco light, and can still do that.
At least with the top of the line off road model it can. It's definitely not the base trim.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.