Ice Lakes Trail closed until late 2021

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Ice Lakes Trail closed until late 2021

Post by d_baker »

Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Good, that main area closure should help give the area some much needed rest and the crew to clear the trail and do maintenance. Very glad they announced it till July next year, this should help.
This article has some good aerial shots about the fire.
https://durangoherald.com/articles/3520 ... on#slide=0
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Damn, that area was on my radar for next year. Bunch of good 13ers up there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Trotter wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:25 pm Damn, that area was on my radar for next year. Bunch of good 13ers up there.
And they will still be there in 2022. Or, there is another access point. Ice Lakes isn’t off limits. Just one trail approach. It might require a backpack, or just a really long day. South Lookout on the other hand... that just ain’t gonna happen for a while for me.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Trotter wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:25 pm Damn, that area was on my radar for next year. Bunch of good 13ers up there.
I was fortunate to finish off the peaks in Ice Lakes this summer. It is a spectacular area for sure. Very busy this summer compared to past years so there may be some good news inside of the bad. Check approaching them from the other side...Hope Lake. I bet that will be doable.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 254 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

desertdog wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:13 am
I was fortunate to finish off the peaks in Ice Lakes this summer. It is a spectacular area for sure. Very busy this summer compared to past years so there may be some good news inside of the bad. Check approaching them from the other side...Hope Lake. I bet that will be doable.
I did a few summits from the Hope Lake side this year. You can get to most of the Ice Lake group from Hope for sure. Might make for a few long days but doable
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

US Grant, V2 and V4 can be done from the north. Park at the Iron Springs area on the Ophir Pass road and follow the Hardrock 100 route to the pass between US Grant and V2.
Pilot Knob, Golden Horn and Vermilion go from the Hope Lake Trail and diverting into Poverty Gulch.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

South Lookout has a good route from Paradise Basin on its east side. You can contour into Paradise Basin from the switchback at 11.2k on the Ophir Pass road.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

DaveLanders wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:26 am South Lookout has a good route from Paradise Basin on its east side. You can contour into Paradise Basin from the switchback at 11.2k on the Ophir Pass road.
So there is! I guess I don’t have an excuse to procrastinate this one.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina