RIP Roger Linfield

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
quaternion
14ers: 58 
13ers: 259
Trip Reports (1)

RIP Roger Linfield

Post by quaternion »

Although he wasn't very active on 14ers.com, many of us here knew him. Roger Linfield passed away earlier this month after an 8 month battle with cancer. Roger had completed all of Colorado's 13ers, and was well on his way to completing Colorado's 12ers. He may have been the first person to lead climb all of the technical 13ers (including Lizard Head) in the process of completing the 13ers; if not, then he was a member of a very elite group of climbers.

Roger came to peak-bagging from rock climbing: he has dozens of first ascents to his name in Joshua Tree. He was an avid birder. He had a PhD in astronomy. He was simply a very interesting guy. Roger was always willing to provide information to others about obscure, or not-so-obscure, peaks, and more than once he repeated a climb in order to help somebody else reach a summit that was outside their comfort zone.

For those of you who got to hike with Roger over the years, I hope you can find an opportunity this Thanksgiving to remember the time you got to enjoy with him...
Attachments
Roger Linfield [R] below the N Face of Coxcomb in 2012
Roger Linfield [R] below the N Face of Coxcomb in 2012
RogerCoxcomb2012.jpg (179.97 KiB) Viewed 8425 times
As I bask in the glorious wake of modest achievement... - Dennis Miller
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Re: RIP Roger Linfield

Post by jasayrevt »

Thank you for posting about this so our Colorado mountaineering community here knows about his passing after succumbing to cancer. It is clear he had an abundantly positive impact. And, that he appreciated life in the great outdoors, too.

RIP, Roger Linfield
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

He was definitely a legend. RIP Roger.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Very sorry to read of this. I didn't know him but knew of his record on technical peaks. Sounds like he was a great, interesting guy. RIP,

-Tom
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

jasayrevt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 am Thank you for posting about this so our Colorado mountaineering community here knows about his passing after succumbing to cancer. It is clear he had an abundantly positive impact. And, that he appreciated life in the great outdoors, too.

RIP, Roger Linfield
+1 :cry:
Never knew him nor ran into him. But heard all about him.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Sorry to hear about this, sounds like someone I could have learned a lot from.
RIP Roger
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I met him working an aid station at the Quad Rock ultra near Ft Collins maybe 6-7 years back. I was amazed to have met someone who was wrapping up the Colorado 13ers right next to me. He was so modest about his accomplishments too. I had no idea that he had all those FAs in Joshua Tree too, wow!

He attended at least one of the end of the year climbing gatherings in Golden that I can remember. Great guy! He will be missed!
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Thank you for passing this information along. I've seen his name on plenty of registers, and I had a chance encounter with him in the backcountry. Sorry to hear of his passing.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends. I never got out with Roger, but I used to see him very regularly on Boulder's Green Mountain in the mornings. Always enjoyed chatting with him for a bit up there.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

All of those 13er completers have my mad respect!!!
Very sorry to hear about his death.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Very sad to hear about this. I never met him nor knew him personally, but he put a lot of registers in the San Juans, especially on obscure 13ers.
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

RIP Roger.

Roger was a peer in both the rock climbing and peak bagging worlds. We both transitioned from the former to the latter at about the same time. While I never actually roped up with Roger (except for at the gym) or did a peak with him (though we ran into each other on top of Grand County 12348) we encountered each other periodically with animated discussions of rock climbing and peakbagging ensuing. Roger was a good source of beta and inspiration. Little known fact: the recent (relative) popularity of Turret Ridge derives from Roger who is the original source of the primary internet description of the route up that coveted and feared peak.

The last time I saw Roger was about a year and a half ago. He was in the pink of health, as usual, filled with goals and ambitions. It's somewhat stunning to think of him struck down so quickly. Once again, I'm led to conclude, get after it while you can!